• Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: OCENS Launches Mac Version of their Satellite Mail Service
April 2007
Press Release

OCENS Mail for Mac Another First from OCENS
Seattle, Washington April 3, 2007 – For years, OCENS has provided a set of services and software to Windows users seeking to efficiently use their satellite phones and other wireless connections to effortlessly transfer email and obtain weather information. In partnership with GPSNavX it has made much of its powerful WeatherNet service available to Mac users. But email service over the satcomm has been a decidedly Windows affair.

Until today.

“The market for software and services that work with the Mac continues to grow. With this release we are excited to be able to bring all the benefits of our OCENS Mail service to the Mac OS’, states Jeff Thomassen, OCENS Director of Sales and Marketing. “No longer will Mac users be forced to choose between Mac email software that isn’t designed for a satellite phone and robust satellite email packages built only for the Windows environment.”

OCENS Mail for Mac is a full-featured email solution compatible with Mac OS 10.4 and higher versions. It comes complete with a built-in satellite modem installer, satellite auto-dialer, robust client-side, server-side and big mail filtering, mid-file restarts and other features critical to the rapid and reliable transfer of email over a satellite phone. OCENS Mail for Mac works with Iridium, Globalstar, Inmarsat, MSAT and most other satellite and cellular phones. Mail for Mac may also be used through DSL and landline connections. And, of course, OCENS Mail for Mac is supported by the same professional and personable OCENS professionals widely known for their careful attention to the needs of the customer.

About OCENS
OCENS data services and software merge easy-to-use applications with unprecedented content offerings to deliver data to remote users around the world. Using patented pull-me technology, OCENS WeatherNet provides fast access to the world’s widest selection of weather and ocean information. GRIB Explorer is the first robust viewer for highly compressible, next generation gridded environmental content. OCENS Mail and OCENS XWeb accelerate the transfer of email and the speed at which web browsing can be conducted over otherwise slow, low-bandwidth satellite phone connections. OCENS augments its software core with hardware solutions that address the unique requirements of its remote mobile user base. OCENS is located in Seattle, Washington. For more information, contact OCENS at 206.878.8270, email sales@ocens.com or visit www.ocens.com.

This is great and helps fill the one remaining hole in Mac cruising software - long distance communications. Now if there was a Mac HF service there would be absolutely no reason to even keep Parallels onboard.

You should also post this on the SSCA board.

Scot

Not sure why OCENS doesn't mention it in their press release, but their mail system is compatible with HF Pactor. If you want the full scoop contact the developer..

http://www.globalmarinenet.net/email.htm

The advantage of XGate over SailMail is you can use what ever email client(s) you want. It also support attachments. Is much more efficient and is compatible with GPSNavX/MacENC and MacWX.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

And the disadvantage over Sailmail (and Airmail) is the rather limited network of HF stations. Fine if you're cruising to the Caribbean or maybe the Med, but with only a single Pacific station in New Zealand, it won't hack alone - you'd still need either Sailmail or Airmail for an HF/SSB email solution. So why incur the additional cost?

jagasail Wrote:And the disadvantage over Sailmail (and Airmail) is the rather limited network of HF stations. Fine if you're cruising to the Caribbean or maybe the Med, but with only a single Pacific station in New Zealand, it won't hack alone - you'd still need either Sailmail or Airmail for an HF/SSB email solution. So why incur the additional cost?

Well you can certainly remedy that...

find a couple of people in the pafic willing to host stations and have them join the association. The cost to setup a shore station is about $3000 for the wardware + the time it takes to get a license. Since there are no computers at the XNet hf stations there is no management to be done. Just turn it on and let it run. I have had my 2 xnet stations running for 1.5 years and look at them maybe once a month to make sure a radio hasnt broken.

Here is a link the bylaws which explains the profit sharing benefits of joining the association.

http://www.xnetmail.com/association_bylaws.htm

There are no stations in the pacific because no one has shown an interest to expand the network. If you want to use your Mac with HF in the Pacific then I personally empower you to make it happen.

--luis

Luis Soltero, Ph.D., MCS
Director of Software Development, CTO
Global Marine Networks, LLC
StarPilot, LLC
Tel: 865-379-8723
Fax: 865-681-5017
E-Mail: lsoltero@globalmarinenet.net
Web: http://www.globalmarinenet.net
Web: http://www.starpilotllc.com

Luis,
I'd love to help out but I'm not 'out there' yet and won't until next year. I'm also planning on being on the service 'user' end rather than 'provider end.

Don't get me wrong - I think what you guys have done for high seas communications on the Mac is fantastic. I'm just strongly advocating for a 'global' HF Mac solution such as Sailmail and Airmail now provide in the windows world. Xnet just isn't there yet from a coverage perspective. I certainly hope it does, but that doesn't help me or many other cruisers now.

I firmly believe HF is essential for the 'party line' type of communications with cruising nets etc, which effectively makes satellite communications an incremental cost, rather than a replacement for HF. I for one, and many others I know heading out, can't afford both. If it was an either/or decision it would be a lot easier, but it's not.

Keep up the good work and I hope someday I'll be able to use your service while out there cruising.

Scot

Scot

Scot,

Like Sailmail, Xnet is a colaboration between volunteers wanting to expand and maintain an HF network. Our company (GMN) is involved with the Xnet association as a member. We dont own the HF stations and dont run them.

Unlike Sailmail, XNet splits the proceeds of the association fee evenly between the individual owners. This allows member stations to cover their operating expenses and eventually make $$ out of the venture.

The only way to make Xnet a world wide HF network is to promote it and encourage land based sailers all over the world to join.

We (GMN) have done our part to help promote HF for Mac users. We spent the money and the man hours to create the software which works over Xnet. We have also purchased two HF stations and joined the Xnet association.

Now its your turn.

If you really want a world wide HF network for Mac users then you will need to chip in. You will need to find and help sponsor stations that will provide you the services you require.

Interested parties should e-mail info@xnetmail.com and/or checkout the website at http://www.xnetmail.com

If you are unwilling to do that then you will have to suffer the concequences... you will be relegated to running windows as your punishement!

--luis

Hello All,

just a short note to let you know that Iridium has now blessed the Mac version of XGate and XWeb.

Here is a link to the certification document
http://www.globalmarinenet.com/publicati...6%2007.pdf

A full description of both Xweb and XGate can be viewed on our website at www.globalmarinenet.com

Thanks,

--luis

Luis Soltero, Ph.D., MCS
Director of Software Development, CTO
Global Marine Networks, LLC
StarPilot, LLC
Tel: 865-379-8723
Fax: 865-681-5017
E-Mail: lsoltero@globalmarinenet.net
Web: http://www.globalmarinenet.net
Web: http://www.starpilotllc.com

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Iridium AxcessPoint Mail and Web Satellite Phone Data Service, Introduced b GPSNavX 6 16,665 July 11, 2013 05:04
Last Post: vov
  Convert your iPhone to a Satellite phone cyberhusky 2 6,986 June 11, 2013 03:31
Last Post: jokhchan