• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: Anchor watching
Instead of simply sounding an alarm on the computer, wouldn't it be nice if you could get the computer to send you a text message warning you that your anchor is dragging? A bluetooth mobile telephone sat near the computer could be told to send a text to another mobile phone safely tucked in the skippers pocket while he/she enjoys a meal ashore. The message could dryly state "YOU NOW HAVE TWICE AS FAR TO ROW BACK"

DCS VHF radios don't yet have serial/USB input capabilities (that I am aware of), but in principal even these could be programmed to send a message to an MMSI number if you don't have mobile phone coverage.

Do you plan to enable messages from your software that could be used in this way?

Quentin

:lol:

Or maybe get the Mac to check the wind vane and weather forecast while you're away, and send you an email at your work account saying:

"It's your boat here... down on the coast, it's blowing a healthy F4, the sun is shining... and where are you? You're stuck in the office.. I'm beginning to think that you don't love me any more.."

Or even better, could you get the Mac to monitor the weather, then, if it's a nice day, phone up your boss pretending to be the wife saying how your great aunt's suddenly been taken ill and you're needed at home and to please pass the message on!

Technology.. making it work for YOU!

Why 2 mobile phones?
Normally you can send text from BT to BT device.

But is this really necessary, as most users don't have such big yachts to have messages send over the whole boatm :-)

Another solution would be to plug your Mac audio output to an external speaker, and GPSNAVX gives you different warning beeps, or better tell your by the narrator function what's wrong with the anker :-)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can't set anchor alarm ? Sven_G 0 1,783 January 23, 2012 18:43
Last Post: Sven_G
  Anchor alarm is not very alarming! fish2live 6 4,404 March 16, 2010 11:44
Last Post: GPSNavX
  Anchor Alarm over ride DVD? BigRickKFOG 6 3,340 September 10, 2005 13:49
Last Post: Wendell