• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: Cannot Tile or Stitch Raster Charts
I just bought iNavX. I wan to use it with raster charts of the Sea of Cortex (Mexico). I also tried it on West Coast raster charts.

As I scroll to the edge of a chart, the app does not automatically bring up the next chart. It also does not automatically zoom into more detailed charts. This is a fundamental requirement for a charting app and is found in other apps, such as Simple Carts and Coastal Explorer.

I checked with iNavX support and they confirmed that it would not do this. It does, apparently, move to the next chart when navigating, but I have yet to see this.

Does anyone have comments?

Richard,

Welcome to the forum.

You probably will get better performance as well as automatic stitching and zooming in iNavX using vector charts instead of the raster type. In your region, there may be some anomalies in the vectors but suggest you take a look at Navionics 3XG for iPad (or iPhone). It is currently $55 on x-traverse:
Navionics 3XG - Caribbean, Central and South America
or:
Navionics 1XG - USA & Sea of Cortez
— —•••  •••— —
 Jon Longworth

Thanks. I found out that I can buy vector charts, but am not sure how good the coverage is in Baja Mexico, where I sail.

I don't like the idea of being forced to buy vector charts because I cannot easily use the (free) raster charts in iNavX.

I wrote a long email to the iNavX company about this. Other charting apps that I use just naturally include "quilting" of raster charts. It is amazing that iNavX does not have this. There are comments on the iTunes site (ratings) where people strongly express their opinion about this too. It is a basic capability that should be in any charting program.

Are those 'other charting apps' PC or Mac based?

The other iPad navigation apps I've used don't support raster so I figure I'm ahead with iNavX.

BTW, does NOAA cover your region? Their vectors are free and can give you an idea of how good the coverage is.
— —•••  •••— —
 Jon Longworth

My experience with raster charts is sometimes the smaller scale chart has a detail the larger scale has and as such I don't want the app to automatically decide for me to show the larger scale. Also most raster charts have important information in their borders, the apps that attempt to stich them together seem to crop this info out.

iNavX shows the larger scale charts as red outlines on the smaller scale viewed chart. Tapping the inside the red outline will display a menu where the larger scale chart can be selected. Also the "+" and "-" buttons on the raster chart allow a larger or smaller scale chart to be selected.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

One iPad app that gracefully supports raster is Simple Charts. On the PC, Coastal Explorer also handles quilting.

I am trying to get coverage for the Baja Mexico region. There are some good raster charts available from Blue Latitude Press. However, I did not know that there are free vector charts. Are they from NOAA?

I suggest that quilting, etc. could be an option to turn on or off, if there is some use in seeing borders, etc.

Not having quilting would make route planning very difficult in iNavX, would it not? How would I plot a route across four or five different raster charts?

iNavX v4 has added the "Tiled Chart" for the NOAA Region. It will be added to other raster chart regions soon..

http://www.macsailing.net/fbb/showtopic.php?tid/2557/
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

Quote:My experience with raster charts is sometimes the smaller scale chart has a detail the larger scale has and as such I don't want the app to automatically decide for me to show the larger scale. Also most raster charts have important information in their borders, the apps that attempt to stich them together seem to crop this info out.

The best implementation of raster chart stitching/selection without affecting usability of important information on them is in ForeFlight, a navigation app for pilots. Maps are stitched using best guess and if you want to see side information that is not displayed, a single tap will bring forward the map underneath. It's just like you would do with multiple real paper map on a table. Of all navigations apps I've played with, iNavX is the worst with regards to dealing with raster maps.

this is very interesting. thanks for that. we need more sites like this. i commend you on your great content and excellent topic choices.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Raster and vector charts larryinvictoria 1 2,712 June 1, 2012 23:20
Last Post: GPSNavX
  Brazil and Finland Raster Charts GPSNavX 0 1,864 June 20, 2010 18:34
Last Post: GPSNavX