• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: CrossOver for PC programs on Mac
As a firm Mac-only user, I am meeting the usual problem that many marine hardware developers supply configuration utilities or applications that are PC-only. No, I do not want to install Windows on my Mac - and get all the complications, viruses etc.

I am considering CrossOver , which claims to let me run PC programs without Windows. CrossOver officially supports some major PC programs, such as Explorer, Office etc., but probably not your typical configuration utility for a multiplexor, AIS receiver or NavTex engine. But I reckon these programs are very simple in comparison, and hopefully might work OK. The most tricky part is probably driving the USB port.

Has anyone tried this solution? And what has been your experience of running simple utilities such as I envisage? Any feedback would be welcome.

Just to add... I have CrossOver and it works for just about everything I have tried except programs needing special hardware drivers.

I have, for example, the UKHO Digital Chart Catalogue working fine - it downloads the catalogue and updates data over the internet with no problems.

With programs needing serial drivers, more limited success. There is a recipe for getting serial drivers to work, but it is fickle and unsupported. I managed to run Garmin's AIS600 utility to update my AIS600 unit, but not, so far, Actisense hardware.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone with experience of serial drivers.

Hello!

I already have Crossover on my laptop, and I'd love to be able to use it to run Airmail. Have you had any luck with this? Have you found any news on this front?

Thanks!

I know it works. I have set up 14+ different systems to date... The last two on Mavericks and Yosemite. This is a guide that may help:
http://tritonmarinesystems.com/Media-Sailmail/

bump!
— —•••  •••— —
 Jon Longworth

bump!
— —•••  •••— —
 Jon Longworth

Bump to top.
— —•••  •••— —
 Jon Longworth

Bump
— —•••  •••— —
 Jon Longworth

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Crossover for Mac CaptJohn 6 11,500 December 10, 2017 19:17
Last Post: fiberliza
  CMAP-Crossover-OSX 256 palette problem sailpalau 5 11,229 October 15, 2009 13:13
Last Post: polly