• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: Designing a system for a boat ...
After months of using GPSNavX on other people's boats with my PowerBook, I have a 30' sailboat in my sights ...

I have picked my Mac, I am planning on installing a Mac Mini in the nav station. I found a site describing how to install a Mac Mini in a car which means there is a 12v power supply for it. This, along with a 17 or 19" LCD screen, will be mounted in a plexi enclosure that can be opened to insert CD/DVDs. The MacMini will have GPSNavX and (assuming I can figure out the best way to get it hooked up) Rusalka instruments. I will be using the blutooth keyboard and mouse so that when the water hits the keyboard it just kills the keyboard, not the whole computer.

The final piece of the plan is to be able to hook this machine up to a nice LCD TV screen (no bigger than 20") using the S-Video out and to a stereo. I have begun the process of converting my DVD library to H.264 encoded MP4 files and will be putting them, along with my iTunes library, onto a RAID 5 of 5 100GB notebook drives (total of 400GB storage) which will be bus powered. The final piece of the puzzle will be my EyeTV 500 which will allow me to watch HDTV broadcasts.

I hope to be able to (afford) install a daylight viewable (ideally transflective), marinized, touch screen (anyone know of one) 10-12" panel in the cockpit. It would be ideal of there were 4 or 5 programmable buttons on the screen but if no one offers that kind of functionality, it would be pretty easy to create some kind of 5 button doohickey that could be mounted next to the monitor. I think I would really only need command-tab, command-shift-tab, +, -, and mute.

I will eventually need all of the various and sundry other instruments and I am leaning toward using the micronet products from Tacktick products ( http://www.tacktick.com/products/mn100_index.asp ) because they are wireless and individually solar powered and as such I expect them to be easier to install. While Tacktick makes a multiplexer, I am wondering what wireless protocol they are using. It would be nice if it was bluetooth or, even better, 802.11 and there was some way to forgo the multiplexer and just have all of the wireless data feed into the mac without another device. Does anyone have any experience with Tacktick products or have any brands that should be avoided for Mac compatibility reasons?

I just purchased a Valiant 40. It has a basic instrument, autopilot. radar system installed. I have purchased a Bluetooth multiplexor and plan to add integration of GPSnavX with my 12" Powerbook then replace the PB with a permanent Mini installation.

The entertainment system plans paralell yours by using the system monitor as a television/dvd monitor on the size approx. 14-15 in. using a usb TV tuner.

Keep in touch.
I'd rather be sailing…

Hey, if you are planning on using the El Gato USB TV Tuner, mine crapped out after a few months. I would strongly recommend their firewire tuner, much better, bus powered, etc. Also nicer looking which shouldn't really matter but it does.

Ended up getting a 40' Columbia incidentally. I am going down to Florida next weekend to close the deal and arrange for shipping.

I am curious if anyone knows of a 20" LCD TV that can be run off of a 12volt power supply and what it would draw...

Have just returned from the boat. Spent about 10 days aboard, finding things and poking into holes.

We sailed her from Annapolis to Deltaville, and took about 3 days to do it. The Raymarine/ Autohelm instruments and autopilot worked flawlessly. These instruments are connected in a Seatalk network St 7000 autopilot. An old Garmin 120xl sends GPS info to the system.

I used the Powerbook with GPSNavx connected to a handheld Garmin with an external ant. This system also worked flawlessly. However wp/routes had to manually be entered to the 120.

Now project will be to install the Mini with the Bluetooth multiplexor connected into the system.

Need to be able to send instrument data to GPSNavX, need to be able to transfer data to and from the Garmin with GPSNavX. This should be able to be done using the Bluetooth Multiplexor.

The entertainment function of the system should not be a prob, but figuring out where to add the multiplexor has me feeling like a dog lookin at a TV.
I'd rather be sailing…

What device are you guys referring to? How does it function? I have all AutoHelm instruments/SeaTalk bus, with a serial cable going from my Garmin GPS to a new iBook.

Jack
s/v Maggie May
I-28

I have now installed a Mini using a Smsung LCD/TV combo on a swing arm. So far computer and monitor are dependent on the inverter. I have a CNX-P1900 DUAL OUTPUT 140 WATT INTELLIGENT DC-DC POWER REGULATOR on the way which will give me the 18 volts required for the mini. Still contemplating the LCD and 12 volt as the converter is built into the unit.

I have installed the Shipmodul BT41 Bluetooth multiplexor. My Seatalk network received its NMEA signal from a Garmin 120 fed into the ST7000 Autopilot control head. I installed the BT41 between the GPS and the A/P Control head. GPS talking to Multiplexor by wire then Multiplexor talking by wire to the A/P and Seatalk network. Autopilot now receives its info from GPSNAV/MACENC, if computer fails the Multiplexor will change modes and use the Garmin 120

The Mini receives its GPS signal via Bluetooth, GPSNAVX can use the GPS signal MACENC receives the GPS from GPSNAVX.

Am working at getting the instrument signal to GPSNAVX, connected the Course computer seatalk connection to the #4 listener port which is switchable to Seatalk mode, but was only able to receive the compass info. So back to drawing board.
I'd rather be sailing…

Has anyone thought of using a Mac Mini and Apple Cinema Display 23"?

I have this monitor at home. It takes up a lot of desk space, I chose the Samsung because it was vesa mounting compatible and would hang in the navstation with the swing arm and double as a TV and DVD display. So far it does the trick.
I'd rather be sailing…

Noticed this new product on MacNN today.
http://www.hubbell.biz/products/minimountd/index.html

It is a clear acylic mount to hold the mac mini underneath a shelf, or maybe a nav table. It is a little pricy at $50 US, but might be helpful.

Mark

I'd be very interested to know if you got that Mac Mini working off 12v, and how?

thanks

A Mac Mini can be run off of 12Vs..

http://www.carnetix.com/CNXP1900.htm
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

this is great stuff.Thanks very much

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which system to purchase? Bazzer 53 22,635 August 2, 2009 05:43
Last Post: jagasail