• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: Ipad as a slave screen on deck
The owner of the boat(Farr 40) where I race on just bought an Ipad.
Is it possible to use the Ipad on deck for the navigator as a 'slave screen'(like a Toughbook) connected to a Windows laptop downstairs running Expedition or Adrena?

There probably is no possibility to run any racing software directly on the Ipad?

We only do windward-leeward races in the Med, would Sailtimer be enough for us?

I love my iPad onboard but am not sure it's the best choice for a cockpit slave. Regardless, found this in the apps store that might work:

http://antecea.com/products/easy-connect.html

Don't know if it could connect directly to the win laptop via wifi or if you'd have to have a simple wifi intranet onboard. This was the first one I found so there may be better choices.

Scot

Avatron's Air Display works really well and has quite resilient connections with host Mac.
Never knowingly overcanvassed!

But Air Display won't work with Win, will it? That's what he asked for.

Ah.. windows. Sorry.

Try Maxivista. I've not tried this myself but the web site looks to offer similar functionality to Screenrecycler for Mac.

Hmmm, I'm starting to see potential here, especially when they add multitasking to the iPad this fall, and for a totally different use. I can see Sailmail running on my eeepc (with the screen turned dark to save power) but run off my iPad, maybe with their grib viewer in one window and iNavX in another. Maybe even do a simple transfer of the grib between the two (hear that Rich - we need other ways to get gribs/routes/tracks in and out of iNavX than via the Internet!)

Scot

OK, Jon, you're slacking here. Based on their website Maxivista doesn't run on MacOS and definitely not on an iPad. Any other iPad to Win options?

Scot

What about VNC? Install a VNC Server on the Laptop (e.g. real VNC) and a VNC client (e.g. Mocha VNC) on the iPad?

Avatron are working on Windows support for Air Display.

Quote:OK, Jon, you're slacking here. Based on their website Maxivista doesn't run on MacOS and definitely not on an iPad. Any other iPad to Win options?

Sorry.. On holiday in Spain.. Too many San Miguels! :p

Gee Jon, I didn't think you could have too many, just not enough time to fully enjoy them Wink

Will VPN allow a direct wifi connection between the laptops (Mac or Win) and iPad, or would you still need some sort of a router/mini network onboard? I'm getting more intrigued by the possibilities.

Hello dear, I also had same problem and later I diagnosed that it was a problem with my VPN. So, I got the best VPN for me from the list of best vpn china and I am satisfied with the purchase as they have full access to the internet with the low risk of getting tracked.

bump
— —•••  •••— —
 Jon Longworth

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  iPad 2012 screen readability antipole 1 4,737 March 20, 2012 05:03
Last Post: cbhattarai
  Ipad on deck dreuge 1 2,688 June 29, 2010 16:11
Last Post: Copasetic