• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: PolarCOM and gpsd
I have tried to use PolarCOM 1.8.4 with gpsd without success.
Doing a ticket at PolarNavy nobody can help or knows at PolarNavy how to use network with PolarCOM.

Is anybody out here able to help?

Gerhard

I found out now that the network feature of PolarCOM does not work.
Piping the network output data into a file and make PolarCOM reading this file as input works however.
The file size never grows up since its data is deleted everytime PolarCOM reads data.
So this is an ugly workaround to use PolarCOM when GPS data is only available from a TCP network.

Gerhard

PolarCOM network ports are used successfully by numerous users. PolarCOM requires NMEA 0183 data whether through a serial or network port.

gpsd provides network data in its very own format, which is not NMEA 0183. PolarCOM does not support gpsd data format.

Sadly this is not true. gpsd sends data in NMEA format but PolarCOM cannot read them via network. It only reads from serial or file. Should be better to rework the network functions of PolarCOM.
This was all tested with the wireshark tool to be sure the faults are within PolarCOM and not elsewhere.

I have not used PolarCOM with gpsd, but I have used it as a NMEA-0183 data server over both a UDP and TCP connection and it worked perfectly. I connected my Mac and my iPad and iPhone without issue.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

Same here. I tried PolarCOM with my Mac using TCP and it worked very well.
— —•••  •••— —
 Jon Longworth

Have you contacted gpsd developers like I suggested? Perhaps direct explanation from them would work better, since you don't seem to trust mine Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PolarCom Blank, GPS Gone? BrianH 11 12,928 May 1, 2013 13:37
Last Post: jhastie
  PolarCom MacBook Air Roschana 1 4,167 February 5, 2012 02:34
Last Post: Roschana
  Garmin 400t and PolarCom EnsPulver 2 5,124 June 18, 2011 17:49
Last Post: GPSNavX
  PolarView/PolarCOM 1.5 is released brak 0 5,218 February 14, 2011 10:54
Last Post: brak
  PolarCom and N2K gbnorth 1 5,133 December 19, 2010 19:51
Last Post: brak