• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: Problem with contour line depth
I recently purchased the 2013 Navionics 3XG Caribbean, Central and South America chart for iNavX. I'm having problems with the values shown for the depth contours not matching the sport soundings in the vicinity. I did a quick search but couldn't find other reports of a similar issue. Does anyone else see this (or not)?

When viewing the area around the UK Virgin Islands, 18° 30.250'N 64° 23.604'W, the contour lines have incorrect depth markers. Based on the spot soundings shown on the chart it looks like the contour values have been incorrectly converted from meters to feet. i.e. if the original value was 30 in feet, but assumed to be meters, then when I have iNavX set to display in feet it takes 30 and multiplies by 3.29 to get feet and displays 98.4 on screen. The same error occurs no matter whether iNavX is set to display in feet, meters, or fathoms.

Attached is a screenshot from iNavX, set to display feet, with markups showing the incorrect depth contours for the above location.

I have no idea if this is an issue with the Navionics chart, the x-traverse packaging of the data, or a bug in iNavX - so I've sent it to all three.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Magenta line? Richard R 1 1,959 April 25, 2014 11:45
Last Post: GPSNavX
  Safety depth setting in iNavx Doggerbear 0 1,801 April 8, 2014 02:24
Last Post: Doggerbear
  Wavey Line Charts Anomaly for Ab - Strangers Cay to Carters Cay = B34 Lookfar 0 2,145 April 13, 2013 01:42
Last Post: Lookfar