• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: Raymarine Connectivity?
I am a reasonably tech-capable guy. Well ...I can follow instructions, anyway.

Can I hook MacENC up to my Raymarine system (C120W chartplotter, AIS, Radar, ST 6002 autopilot, ST60 and ST 70 instruments)?

If so, what is the hardware, the physical means to connect the Raymarine SeaTalk/NMEA network streaming the GPS/AIS/Radar/instrument data into the Mac?

Many thanks

-Cap'n Bri

The best way would be to use a Multiplexer..

http://www.shipmodul.com/en/miniplex-2usb.html

OR

http://brookhouseonline.com/imux.htm

The iMux can be interfaced to the Mac via USB or WiFi.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

Thanks...

Let me see if I understand this correctly.

I see that Brookhouse IMux has a Seatalk version.
I presume that I would just wire that up to a Seatalk node and then set the ENC program to the proper channels, baud rates, and such.

Once properly configured, MacENC will interpret the incoming multiplexed data into the various displays (GPS, instrument data, radar returns, etc.)

Is that right?

And thanks again for all your help.

Both of the Multiplexers convert proprietary Seatalk into NMEA-0183 (The standard for marine instrumentation)

MacENC can process the following NMEA data ..

http://www.gpsnavx.com/html/nmea.html

RADAR targets and cursor are supported by NMEA-0183. RADAR video is not.

I like the iMux because it works wirelessly.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

As a follow up I should note Raymarine does make a Seatalk to NMEA-0183 device, but my experience is the NMEA conversion is incomplete and it provides no direct USB connectivity. As such I like the third party solutions by Shipmodul and iMux which also accept additional NMEA-0183 inputs and output.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

I've been puzzling through this as well, although I have older ST40 instruments and ST2000+ autotiller. I see that to get waypoint data back to the ST2000, one also runs a wire pair from NMEA out (on the multiplexer?) back to two extra pins on the back of the cockpit socket for the tiller cable.

Just trying to figure out what to buy with my meager boatbucks this spring.

Yes that is correct for the Raymarine AP connection.

Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

May be this can help:
Installing an iMux aboard "Lady Jane"

Just to beat this some more...

While on-line window shopping I noticed down in the fine print that the Raymarine AIS transceiver has a "built-in NMEA multiplexer," a USB port outputting NMEA 0183, and of course SeaTalk (ng?). So, it seems tempting to believe that I could buy this unit and avoid buying separate multiplexer and GPS units. Which would make the price almost palatable.

Anyone have direct experience with this unit?
And this is the first I've heard of SeaTalk"ng." Anyone know if it would play nice with my plain-old ST40 and ST2000 stuff?

(Sorry for asking dumb questions, but I've recently gotten screwed trying to upgrade home toys to the HDMI bus, which is still chewing up $$ and not functioning as advertised. Starting to get the same feeling on the boat!)

FYI I got this reply from Raymarine tech support

Negative. The AIS650 is not a STng to NMEA 0183 bridging device. Only AIS data is transmitted via the AIS650's USB port. It will multiplex received 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 data with AIS data and transmit this data via its NMEA 0183 output port at 38400 BAUD. It will also receive 38400 BAUD NMEA 0183 data and then output this data at 4800 BAUD. Raymarine had offered an E85001 PC/SeaTalk/NMEA 0183 Interface Module to address such bridging needs. Brookhouse's website offers a SeaTalk to NMEA 0183 Multiplexor ( http://brookhouseonline.com/seatalk.htm ).

It's somewhat puzzling, since the various Raymarine manuals available on-line contradict each other about connectivity between Seatalk, Seatalk2, and SeatalkNG.