• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: Waypoint Arrival Distance Precision
Is it possible to reduce the waypoint arrival distance to less than 0.1nm in a future release?

It appears as if the next waypoint is automatically selected when the arrival distance is reached (about 600 feet before the waypoint). I have not tested this yet but suspect that the autopilot will also change course prematurely using "Auto Next". Normally this is not a problem, but in some of the tight channels in my area, I would prefer a closer range...say about 0.01nm instead of 0.1nm.

Thanks again for creating and supporting GPSNavX™ Big Grin

Quote:Is it possible to reduce the waypoint arrival distance to less than 0.1nm in a future release?

Yes this could be done. I would argue against using "Auto Next" and possibly even an autopilot in a "tight" channel. As you can tell I am not a fan of auto next. Where there is potentional for a collision with other vessels or land one should be "manually" controling things.

The purpose of the waypoint arrival circle is to alert one that they are near the waypoint and give them a chance to make a decision what to do next.

All of the autopilots I have encountered will not automatically change course. They will require the user to confirm the course change. So while GPSNavX will be sending details about the "next" waypoint (.01 out), the autopilot will not steer to it until confirmation. I would rather that warning happen a little bit of distance from the waypoint instead of 10'.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

I agree with most of what you say.

However, my autopilot sounds an alarm whenever a waypoint is advanced to the next one in the route by the navigation software. At a distance of 0.1nm and with my average speed of 4 to 6 knots, my autopilot emits a continuous, annoying sound for over a minute that just adds more stress to a hectic situation. I know when a waypoint is coming up well in advance and assess the traffic situation prior to arrival. I simply would like to have a short (10 second) audible alarm when I get within 60' of the waypoiint.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Waypoint arrival macsolve 8 4,428 May 26, 2009 06:23
Last Post: bobetter