• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: iNavX and iOS 5 update
There may be some cases where an update to iOS 5 will not restore the charts downloaded into iNavX. In this case the charts should be downloaded again. a WiFi connection is recommended.

To restore any NOAA charts: Select any NOAA region from the main menu, then select the Recent filter (looks like a clock), then select "Update Charts".

To restore any charts from X-Traverse (i.e. Navionics, NV-Verlag, Soltek, etc.): Select any non NOAA region from the main menu, then select "Update Chart List", then select a chart, then select download all.

If there is any difficulty downloading charts from X-Traverse contact them..

http://www.x-traverse.com/contact-us
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

I am having problems downloading the charts after the IOS 5 upgrade. I keep getting a timeout error message sometimes after approximately 50% sometimes even as much as 90%. I have been able to download some charts after many many tries (20+) but still others I am still waiting on. I have checked with XTraverse and they insist nothing is wrong from their side and I am the only complaint. I am in Venezuela at a boat yard with fairly good WIFI. I have had two skype video sessions going at one time and not while trying to download the charts. Any ideas where to go from here.

I had a similar experience with the WiFi at my marina. It would randomly drop the connection. Hopefully, you can find another network to try close by.
— —•••  •••— —
 Jon Longworth

Make sure you only do the "Update Chart List" once, then you will not have to re-download the charts you have already successfully downloaded.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

I did the "Update Chart Lists" immediately after restoring but still no luck with uploading the charts.

Is it possible to increase the timeout or allow partial uploads until network speed has increased? My stomach turns each time it gets to 90+% and then has to start all over again.

The network time out is 30 seconds. That means in order to fail, no data is received for 30 seconds. I would recommend you find a more reliable WiFi network to download the charts. Once downloaded you should not need to do so again.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

It seems odd that we would have a network issue like that since we are able to skype with two different video sessions simultaneously with no problems at all.

Watching the progression of percentage downloaded it seems to go regularly without issue then suddenly gives the error message. It is not after a long 30 secs or so.

Is it possible the WiFi you are connected to has a cap on the size of file that can be downloaded? Assume you are trying to download the Navionics 3XG region.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

Yes, 3XG. I have been able to add some of the charts just not all of them and usually after many, many tries.

Finally got all the charts loaded. It took a long time with many, many tries and false hopes but it is done. Whew! Last time I will upgrade OS before a trip.7

Glad you got it sorted. I was able to download the Navionics 3XG region without issue over both a WiFi and a cell connection.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

I think it might have to do with being in a foreign country also since I am not about the download Lion for the MBP nor even a simple Adobe Reader update.
Thanks for encouraging me on but please do think about holding what can be downloaded in cache until the next connection is made so 50% or more downloads can be restarted.

The iOS 5.0.1 update does not perform a full restore as such, downloaded data such as charts will not be erased or have to be re-downloaded.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA