• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: iPad
Have you had hands on one yet? Or at least run and emulator yet? Sounds like iNavX will run as is. Any plans to write an iPad specific version? I'm excited by the news. Hope to be running one this summer.

iNavX will run as is on iPad (as most apps will), but yes future versions will take full advantage of the large screen and faster processor.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

I have noticed that you don't like to talk about rumors or features before they happen but but here goes...Any chance the OS will allow features like the GPS and Instrument panel windows on MacENC? It would be great to be able to see real-time instrument data overlays on the chart. And maybe Apple will allow a proper Bluetooth (or at least USB!) GPS connection? Or will we have to wait a year and buy a Tom-Tom kit and hope for the best?

I am sure with the increased screen real-estate iPad offers, that iNavX will take full advantage of it. Always a trade off of maximum chart display versus other data. I have tended to favor maximizing chart display hence the lack of bulky toolbars in our Mac software. I can't wait for iPad to be available and offer a great iNavX experience.

I see no indication that Apple will open up their Bluetooth interface to other profiles such as GPS. Not sure why.

Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

I am imagining the instrument panels as a sidebar similar to the email application at 10'42" of the Keynote where you could toggle the instruments off and on. I agree that the simple toolbars/windows are great in MacEnc, but it is often useful to reconfigure or have a set of pre-configured info on the nav display for different situations on the boat. Think various screens on Garmin or B&G chartplotters.

Will the inavx run on Ipad without any sim card ?

iPad does not have a sim card nor a GPS receiver. iPad 3G has a micro sim card and a GPS receiver.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/apple...explained/

iPad 3G and iPhone 3G[s] both use assisted GPS, that is they download GPS initialization over a cell connection if possible, otherwise they initialize slower like a non assisted GPS receiver.

So I don't think a Sim card is required to get a fix.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

Any indication whether Navionics will hold their pricing for the iPad? Or... will the existing charts show 'full screen' on the ipad with the updated iNavX?

Broke down and got an ipad, and am finding it will be an incredibly useful device on the boat, even without gps. As a low-power entertainment and ereader (for all my manuals among other things) alone it is worth the price. Even the smaller iphone sized Navionics charts are a very useful backup for paper charts. I'd probably use that long before pulling out the paper... The ipad is incredibly easy to use and the lack of multitasking is not as annoying as I had imagined. Only real gripe is the screen is still hard to see in sunlight, though I haven't tried one of the non-glare overlays to see if that would help.

Scot

iNavX 3.0.0 will be a FREE update at the end of April that will be native (Universal) on iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad. Other developers are asking you to shell out more money for iPad versions of the same apps already purchased for iPhone.

So far no official word from Navionics on pricing. All the other charts from X-Traverse and NOAA will work on what ever device one is using iNavX on at the native resolution of the device.

I recommend holding off for the 3G version of iPad because of its built in Cell and GPS receivers.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

I guess I'll be one of the "other" programmers then, because I'm heading toward making an "AyeTides XL" version for the iPad. I'm doing this because the iPad's screen makes it possible to have a completely new UI - two days' worth of tides instead of one, the information view gone, and the chance to do a month view when in landscape mode where tapping the day will make it expand and contract. I can't see adding so much new code that's worthless on the iPhone, and just eats up precious disk space.

Additionally, I'm still supporting 2.2.1 and going to a Universal app means I must target 3.0 instead, locking out all the iPod Touches still out there running the older OS. Considering that just suggesting Mr. Tides support only 10.5 and greater made people upset, I don't see dropping 2.2 support for a while.

I can see where iNavX doesn't need to change much, as the chart is simply bigger on the iPad than on the iPhone. But I can do more on the iPad, and I think two apps makes more sense than one. My $0.02.

iNavX (v3.0.0) grew from 7 MB to 8 MB to support iPad in addition to iPhone/iPod. Still much smaller than the marine nav apps that bundle non updated charts.

The only folks running iPhone OS 2.2.1 would be using an iPod as iPhone OS 3 is a free update for iPhone users.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

Will iNavx do the '2x' sizing on the ipad as is?

One thing promising I found is that the Navionics maps, when using 2X, doubles the size to almost full screen on ipad. The Navionics 'app' becomes a bit pixilated, but the chart itself retains full detail! As much screen territory as my chart plotter, but with charts that have the same detail but are a fraction of the price! And...the charts include tides and currents right on them without needing multitasking.

iNavX v2 does pixel doubling (as does every iPhone app) on iPad.
iNavX v3 (free update) will offer the full native resolution of the device (plus many other enhancements).

BTW for iNavX, Navionics Region 1XG (2010 ENTIRE US Charts) is available..

http://x-traverse.com/product/TD-NAV-1XG-MB

Note: Only iPad 3G has a built in GPS receiver.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

One more question. The Navionics app (which unlike some, I'm not impressed with) only shows the region in that package. Will/can iNavX merge the map regions? Example, I'm going from the PNW to the Marquesas, which overlaps two Navionics regions. Will both of these load at the same time so I can plot a continuous route?

Navionics charts (not maps) work like their cartridges so only one region at a time can be displayed. That being said any region has the world base chart so you can certainly see any entire route, but the detail will be limited for the region you have selected.

Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

Thinking of it that way makes sense. Guess the same would apply with cmap cartridges on my plotter. Regardless, I'm off to get iNavX, pixels and all, for my ipad and anxiously await the upgrade!

Thanks,
Scot

I am eager to get iNavX 3.0.0 out, but insist it be tested on an iPad 3G before release. That might explain why there are so few apps in the Navigation section of iTunes app store for iPad.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

Well, apparently you can't buy charts for the ipad from x-traverse now. It identifies the ipad in step one of the purchase process, but doesn't allow you to select the operating system in step 2. Hope they're not looking at jacking up their prices...

Select iPhone as iNavX 2.1.5 running on iPad thinks it's just an iPhone.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

Doesn't allow that option. In fact doesn't allow you to select any options on step 2 if you select ipad in step one. Just can't get past step 2. Could you select iphone in step one as the device and have it still work on the ipad?

Yes that is exactly what I said. Select iPhone from the get go.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

GPSNavX Wrote:Yes that is exactly what I said. Select iPhone from the get go.

Well, that's not what I thought you said (just re-read it too). Thought you were referencing the iphone operating system, not the platform.

iPhone must be selected for steps 1 and 2 because there is currently no iNavX specific for iPad yet.

Step 1: Platform: Apple iPhone
Step 2: Software: Apple iPhone iNavX Ver 2 for iPhone
Step 3: Continue
Step 4: The charts you want
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

Just pre-ordered the iPad 3G.
Great to hear that iNavX 3.x will be free upgrade.
Thanks for that!

Having played with iNavX on the iPad for a while I'm impressed. However, as I understand, you can only upload/download waypoints and tracks via traverse - correct? If so I hope that will change with the iPad native version. Out cruising (even in anchored in many Puget Sound bays) that's not feasible. I would hope you could exchange waypoints and route files maybe similar to how Pages and Numbers files (and other apps) do it via iTunes.

I just recalled that I have a password program on my iPad that syncs directly with it's counterpart on my Mac. Syncing directly with MacENC would be ideal.

Scot