• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: ipad Navionics app and/or iNavX app
I just got an ipad 3G, and I have purchased the Navionics Marine US Central HD ipad app for $19.99. I am quite impressed by the basic features of the app and the charts themselves (which I read was the Navi. gold). As a GPSNavX user, I am think about getting iNavX ($49.99).

I am a bit confused about the chart options for iNavX. In reading posts, it sounds like one needs to purchase Navionics charts for $49.99 in addition to purchasing iNavX. Are these Navionics charts different from the Navionics app chart? I would hate to spend the $99.98 to find that charts are really no better that the $19.99 app.

The charts are the same data, but there are some key differences in the apps and regions available.

iNavX offers ..

Access the largest library of up to date official charts and maps
Comprehensive route and waypoint management and navigation including auto-next
Import/Export of waypoints, routes and tracks in both KML and GPX format
GRIB Weather overlay (wind, pressure, waves, precipitation rate and temperature)
Anchor alarm
True and Magnetic bearings
Great circle computation for all bearings and distance
NMEA-0183 and N2K display and waypoint import/export via TCP/IP
AIS target display
Digital compass
Instrument display
Chart and route printing
Chart emailing and tweeting
Course Up chart orientation
Full screen display
Runs on both iPad and iPhone (Only need to buy once)

The big difference is with Navionics charts from X-Traverse you get the very latest versions (and all updates) of the charts and you get access to regions not available on the Navionics apps. Super regions 1 and 3 and the Fish'N'Chips bathymetric charts.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

One point that is confusing initially (at least it caught me) is the navionics charts purchased in iTunes are NOT usable by iNavX, and the Navionics charts purchased from X-traverse are not usable without iNavx (I.e. In tha Navionics app from iTunes). If you purchased the Navionics region from iTunes you effectively have to buy the charts again from X-traverse if you want to use them in iNavX.

Also, while X-traverse does have some Navionics chart regions not available In iTunes, as Rich mentions above, they do NOT have the Navionics Canadian regions, only the very expensive Canadian CHS raster charts. Probably my biggest gripe with X-traverse.

Scot

Comparative Navionics Mobile vs iNavx

As noted in other posts, X-Traverse does now offer the Navionics 2XG Canadian region for iPod/iPhone, iPad and Mac.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

In the end, i find I have and use both - they're so cheap, why not? I like the Navionics for 'dreaming', for quick looking at an area, and for quickly measuring a distance I'm curious about. It boots so much more quiickly it's more efficient for those kinds of questions. I use it sort of like i might a paper chart. But for true route planning and navigation, iNavX has it hands down. However, if the Navionics app could export a route, I'd probably create it in that, then use it in iNavX. Also, if your route goes between chart regions, the Navioinics app is not really an option.

Scot

Added - the Navionics app also has a decent directory of marine services (marinas, chandleries, yards etc.) and restaurants, and a rather nice tides and currents all accessible within the app. I really wouldn't want iNavX cluttered with all that, but it's nice to have it handy in another app that just happens to include a chart!

Navionics have now updated all their apps to a new 1.0 version. If you have an older version then you must purchase the new version which is specific to the platform (i.e. iPhone or iPad).
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

The most incredible is the new areas coverage. Do you think it will be the same via x-traverse in a next future?

Many of them already are with the 1XG, 2XG, and 3XG. I am sure for 2011, X-Traverse will offer similar larger Navionics regions.

Is there a way to transfer waypoints, routes, tracks, etc. from the older Navionics apps to the new ones?
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

GPSNavX Wrote:Is there a way to transfer waypoints, routes, tracks, etc. from the older Navionics apps to the new ones?
No.

Comparison updated iNavX 3.2 versus new Navionics 1.0

Updates? If only. My understanding is that you do not get updates.

I have 2008 charts on my iPhone/iNaxV even though the X-Traverse site shows 2010 editions. I have tried reloading, but only get the 2008 charts again. I contacted X-Traverse support about this and got: "You are correct: any new year's edition (ex. 2009 versus 2010 versus 2011) is a brand new purchase. Licence conditions and economics have dictated that circumstance so far but your subscription from edition to edition concept is something we have wished for as a future development."

I would dearly love updates. Indeed having also purchased MacENC, I am considering Navionics/X-Traverse charts for this also, but the investment is much larger, and the lack of updates and having to purchase all over again is putting me off, so I am investigating other options.

If this could be sorted out I would be really grateful. Tony.

Part of the answer was here How to update charts with iNavX.
Anyway, intermediate updates seems have no change of date edition, and no way to know what are the changes there. Navionics recently wrote me that all Navionics charts are updated every year and not all 2/3 years. The first full (paying) updates (2010 edition) came 2 years after the 2008 edition. All of this is not clearly explained by Navionics.

Do either iNavX or Navionics allow upload and download of routes and waypoints to a Raymarine E80 chartplotter?

Can I use Navionics as a realtime instrument repeater with a WiFi connection to Raymarine Seatalk or NMEA data? It appears that iNavX does this but I can't find specific info on Navionics. I have a Raymarine E80 chartplotter. The new e7 supports this. E80???

The answer to your questions is Yes with iNavX. Use a Brookhouse iMux with the SeaTalk option..

http://brookhouseonline.com/imux.htm

Contact Brookhouse for more specifics.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

OK Thanks.

iNavX can repeat instruments and upload/download to the E80. Can Navionics do the same?

Also, the Raymarine system pieces already connect to eachother via a router. Can I just add any WiFi router or do I need the Brookhouse equipment?

I read Fustier's analysis. Sorry I didn't go there first.

So the remiaining question is whether a standard WiFi router is sufficient or if a Brookhouse unit is necessary.

Thanks

Jeff

RE: iNavX..

The Brookhouse iMux (Or SeaSmart WiFi for N2K/Seatalk 2) is required for iNavX to interface to Raymarine because iNavX supports NMEA data (older 0183 and newer 2K). iNavX does not support the proprietary Seatalk1 data common with older Raymarine equipment.

It appears the E80 supports Seatalk2 which is native N2K. So instead of iMux you might look at the SeaSmart WiFi..

http://www.seasmart.net/

Bottom line for iNavX is use need a WiFi multiplexer to interface to external marine electronics.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

About iMux installation with SeaTalk network :
Installing an iMux aboard Lady Jane

I have a print-server/router installed currently. It acts as the hub for all the Raymarine instruments. It also allows me to use Raymarine RNS 6.0 software on a laptop which interfaces with the instruments. Finally it connects a non-wifi printer to the network.

Is the iMux strictly for NMEA transmission to the iPad, or can I use the wifi signal from the iMux to connect the laptop to the nav system? In addition, can I connect a wifi printer to the network via the iMux wifi signal?

Thanks again.

iMux is a stand-alone NMEA-0183 WiFi multiplexer. It can be connected to both a PC and an iPad/iPhone. Contact Brookhouse with further iMux questions as they are the experts.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

OK. Thanks for the info.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Navionics for iPad out now! ReeferJon 11 14,679 June 13, 2010 07:35
Last Post: jagasail