• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: new to site, beginner's questions
I'm thrilled to find this site. Thanks GPSNavX for directing me here. I have just downloaded GPSNavX on to my MacBook Air and iNavX on to my Ipad. I assume with the iNavX on the Ipad I do not need a GPS antenna since it is built in but I do with the GPSNavX. Is one system favored over the other? The Ipad has longer battery life and it is more portable. I sail off the coast of North Carolina and I understand the only charts available are the NOAA charts. Besides the help/settings that come with these programs are there other 'help' sites that would help me get going? I have a Garmin chartplotter on my sailboat. Can I connect my GPSNavX to the Garmin's GPS signal? Thanks for any assistance. Brent

Brent,

I share your enthusiasm although this site is not as "active" as it should/could be.

You're right about the GPS requirements provided that your iPad is the 3G model. GPSNavX is a great navigation application but it is limited to raster not vector charts so you may want eventually to upgrade to MacENC that can use both. NOAA provides both as far as I know.

Favored system? Other than Mac, not really Wink Although older Raymarine instruments use SEATalk protocol which posses some problems. Your Garmin chartplotter more than likely has a NMEA 0183 output (3 wires) which you can hook up to your Mac's USB port with a Keyspan USB/serial cable.
Don't forget to install the Mac OS X 10.6 driver for this cable.

There are a few other sites. This one is in French but there is a translation to English (button) that works pretty well. Navigation Mac
And you wouldn't want to miss anything on Panbo although it's not Mac bent.
— —•••  •••— —
 Jon Longworth

Brent,

You also might look at a Brookhouse Mux with Bluetooth (also has AIS option) to get bluetooth connectivity from your Garmin to both iPad or Mac.

I use MacENC...great app.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  weather questions carlmidson.com 2 3,247 March 1, 2011 14:08
Last Post: carlmidson.com
  GPSNAVX: questions about grib carboncow 3 3,153 May 7, 2010 19:34
Last Post: GPSNavX
  French charts and other license questions sarfata 1 2,274 April 14, 2008 13:00
Last Post: GPSNavX
  Newbie questions. tomtom 10 3,812 October 2, 2006 19:47
Last Post: tomtom