• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: onboard satellite e-mail with Mac
Does anyone use Ocens Mail with their Mac? Globalstar with their Mac? Any suggestions, advice, guidance? (I really hate the idea of bringing a Windows machine onboard...)
--steve

I configured my Motorola/Iridium/ Powerbook to do email for an Atlantic crossing. I can take you through that if it's of any help.

Dear Oldvarnish,
Are you using Ocens e-mail? Apparently the challenge is to make it work with Virtual PC and to get it to recognize the com port on the computer. Any guidance?
--steve

No, I was using SailaMail, which is a Mac friendly set up. He's got some Mac set up instructions on his website, but they made be OS9. By posting through him it's quite a bit faster since he removes the unwanted information ( the hidden but bulky stuff) from the email and slims it down quite a bit. He also makes sure there's no spam in the InBox. You can also set up an alert so that he sends a text to your phone when there's an email waiting for you.
To connect, I used a dial up number to connect into Iridium's internet server and posted to SailaMail through that.
I'm no expert on Virtual PC but I'd assume that would make things a great deal more complicated.
I simply used the lead which came with my Motorola 9505, a Keyspan USB/Serial adaptor into the Powerbook, then used Internet Connect and sent everything via Mail in OSX. You need a modem script, but I found that somewhere on Google.

good luck

Try this..

http://www.hintz.org/iridium/
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

Don't have any experience with these guys, but they offer email over slow connections.

http://uuplus.com/index.html

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bringing my Mac onboard for navigation... regatta 7 7,776 May 24, 2010 21:44
Last Post: GPSNavX