MacSailing.net

Full Version: AIS transponders on all boats over 34' in the United States
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have heard rumblings of this over the last couple years, but I believe it is coming that US boaters will have carry an AIS transponder on their boat in the name of home land security. I call this decision misguided at best.

http://www.latitude38.com/LectronicLat/2...chor218737
I will put an AIS receiver on my 24' sailing boat because the regions I sail in the Netherlands are frequently crossed by bigger cargo ships.
When I first read about AIS 2 years ago, this terrorism arguement was the first to come to my mind.
Every surveillance idea is excused by the thread of terrorism.

OFF TOPIC

IMHO I think all this digital surveillance systems just do bring us a step closer to "Brave New World". If the US wants you to have AIS senders, the EU will do the same for us. We already have biometrical ID cards and passports, on every corner surveillance cams etc. Mobile phone are trackable with a 50 m accuracy. SMS, IRC and internet traffic is scanned by the ECHELON system.
All this because of terrorism? I can't beleive it.
Nothing is eaten as hot as it has been cooked. I mean the terrorist thread isn't as worse as politicians make us believe.
There is a theory which says globalisation (which makes the big companies bigger and these companies are the leaders of the world) will have millions of people travel (work) from one country to another. These masses have to controlled. Therefor we need global surveillance. And the excuse of terrorism just comes in handy!
:evil:
Today I read that the list of suspected individuals by the US gov is more than 375000 people. Hey that's nearly the complete population of our country.
The easiest way would be to implant everybody a GPS chip when he/she's born, so we wouldn't need all these surveillance bullshit. :evil:
I know this is going to sound ironic from someone who runs a marine electronics BBS, but part of the joy of sailing for me is escaping from technology.. and most of all freedom.

I'll quite often switch off everthing when I'm sailing; instruments, GPS, log, mobile phone, VHF.. and just enjoy the the wind and the water.

Sailing is one of the last bastions on unregulation in the UK. Anyone can sail. There are no required qualifications, no required insurance, no required assessment of your vessel and no required equipment.. effectively, you can go to sea in a bath-tub if you're so inclined.

With every area of our lives being recorded, policed, and digitised, sailing is one of our few escapes... and I'd passionately oppose any attempts to change that.
Quote:just enjoy the the wind and the water.

How true. When I invite people on my boat who have never been on sea, are surprise how relaxing such a journey cann be. Especially if you refuse to read newspapers in harbors, watch TV or listen to Radio. As "No news is good news" ;-)

Quote:Sailing is one of the last bastions on unregulation in the UK. Anyone can sail.

I wouldn't be so sure here! See my previous post.
The EU has regulated everything concering boats. Until last year France was in the same league like UK, but since this year there are new regulations.

Electronic charts are a must, you do need VHF and sailing licence. I do own the offical boat licence (sailing and motor) plus 3 radio licences. Plus all radio related equipement has to be licenced too. That way you can't even sell your VHF, it's useless on the other boat and if you do law will strike.
In Austria they're even more crazy, you aren't allowed to take your VHF from your boat home with you (winter times) it must be on baord all the time with the original licences!

Last month I read that in Germany you must have a gun licence just to use signal fire in case of emergency!

That's the E.U. A bunch of overregulated administrative politicians who don't know what they are doing!
My friend I'm afraid UK will be overrun by these regulations too. If not now than in 2-3 years!