MacSailing.net

Full Version: iPad and sunlight
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Working towards getting an iPad as a mirror monitor to use topside. How are people finding the iPad screen in sunlight (as opposed to daylight) conditions. A friend reports that, when wearing polarized sunglasses, the screen is close to unreadable, I assume due to a coating on the iPad glass. They will switch to their Kindle if reading a book outside for that reason. I have the same problem with my radio screen in my car. I know it is the polarization because if I turn my head sideways, the screen is visible (remember the little tag on the original Polaroid sunglasses?).

Thanks
In direct sunlight I find the iPad extremely difficult to use. The glare makes it almost impossible to see any chart information, let alone read anything. I've not tried any of the screen covers though so cannot comment on them. I'm in Florida so not sure how it would be in the NW. I have, however been on my brothers boat in the San Juan Islands and found my iPhone, using iNavX to be completely legible. The iPad does make a great backup though. AT&T loves the way I burn through the MB's.
I love my iPad but it generally is not that great in sunlight, and as has been noted, can be virtually unreadable. It is very sensitive to the natural lighting conditions. However, with polarized sunglasses I found the screen nearly black when in portrait mode, yet surprisingly bright and usable when in landscape. You might try that and see if that helps in your situation before investing in other things.

Scot