MacSailing.net

Full Version: Recommended handheld GPS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Can anyone recommend a handheld GPS?

Last Cowes Week I used an iPad for navigation but found it not being daylight-viewable a problem.

Any thoughts?

Andy
I like the Garmin GPSMap 76 and 78 series.
Thanks.

Is it Mac-friendly?
Sure. It will connect right up to the USB port and you can transfer waypoints as GPX files. Garmin has some Mac apps ..

http://www8.garmin.com/macosx/
Is RoadTrip the app I use to transfer WPs?
You should not need any app to transfer waypoints as when plugged into a Mac, it appears like any other storage device.
I have the Garmin GPSMAP 76 and 78 and recommend them both.

76 series:
(0) floats
(1) do not all have USB port
(2) those with USB may not treat it like storage ? and you need SW that talks garmin protocol
(3) Uses garmin blue charts and mapsource which I have been told are going away and will not be supported on newer units i.e. 78 ..... I still have unused licenses for Blue Chart atlantic regions. the tech tech folks at garmin just told me in a nice way I was SOL on that deal.

78 series:
(0) floats
(1) works in places the 76 series would not work like inside a building or a cabin.
(2) acquires much faster than the 76
(3) the preinstalled charts ($$$$) told me right after I bought the unit (78sc) that an update was available and when I tried to find the update (a) wanted to charge me $$ and then (b) could not find the update. I got a bad attitude and have yet to resolve the matter. Garmin is not my favorite company but their products keep me coming back.
Is there a 76 unit that will treat the USB connection as a storage??

also...

Are charts that cover other area's still available if you know? perhaps from Garmin?

thanks