MacSailing.net

Full Version: outfitting a new boat
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It has come time for me to specify the electronics that I want the factory to install on a new boat (a Lagoon 420). This is a production boat, so the factory is not really interested in doing a custom job. I will have additional work done after the boat comes off the line.

The factory will install Raymarine instruments and autopilot. I will have a radar installed after market. I am passing on adding a chartplotter (the 12" Raymarine unit runs around $4000). I would prefer to use my MacMini as the "brains" of the boat, for course plotting, GPS navigation, and general multi-media use (video and music).

My main question is about the radar. I know that the Raymarine instruments use "Seatalk" as the interface language (I may be using the wrong terminology). If I add a Raymarine radar, can the MacENC program "read" this input and can I then overlay it onto the electronic charts? What hardware will I need to connect the Mac to the radar?

I also want to use a MacBook to take onshore and for internet connection. Can the mini and the MacBook share the MacENC program?

Finally, what am I overlooking?

Thanks for any suggestions or help.

Charlie

P.S. I also need to find a 12v monitor/video screen that I can use as the display for the mini and also for the family to watch movies. There must be 12v screens out there. Where should I start looking?
Charlie, we are (still) in the process of upgrading our electronics and I asked a similar question a while back. As I recall, MacENC can display AIS targets but can not overlay a radar image on the chart.
MacENC does support RADAR NMEA. What this means is MacENC can plot any tracked targets and the RADAR cursor. MacENC does overlay the RADAR reflection on the chart.

You can install MacENC on as many of YOUR Macs as you like.

If your RADAR does only send out SeaTalk then you will need to use a Multiplexer to convert to NMEA..

http://www.shipmodul.com/en/products.html

A Shipmodul 42 BT will give you the most flexibility.
cjenkins Wrote:Charlie

P.S. I also need to find a 12v monitor/video screen that I can use as the display for the mini and also for the family to watch movies. There must be 12v screens out there. Where should I start looking?

I would recommend this:
http://www.argonautcomputer.com/tflex-G6...onitor.php

...and I would second the suggestion to use the ShipModul multiplexer, I have used them for years very sucessfully and am currently using the 42-BT and am very happy with it.
GPSNavX Wrote:MacENC does support RADAR NMEA. What this means is MacENC can plot any tracked targets and the RADAR cursor. MacENC does overlay the RADAR reflection on the chart.

Thanks for clearing that up. Does MacENC then show land mass reflections?

Bobetter—how have you liked the Argonaut monitor? I looked at them at the last Seattle Boat Show in Feb. I think they have only been out since last autumn or early winter and I'm wondering how they are going to hold up. Can't beat the price! Is yours used/kept out in weather? Is it exposed to direct sun? How has it been with heat (internal and external)? What do you use for input? Someone told me that it is a Planar-sourced monitor (which is the monitor I use at my office and really like) that has been marinized.
JoMeKe Wrote:[quote="GPSNavX"]Bobetter—how have you liked the Argonaut monitor? Is yours used/kept out in weather? Is it exposed to direct sun? How has it been with heat (internal and external)? What do you use for input? Someone told me that it is a Planar-sourced monitor (which is the monitor I use at my office and really like) that has been marinized.
I installed it on my boat last December. The boat is currently in Florida in charter so I can't really speak as to it's performance other than the couple of hours I spent with it on a test sail. The monitor is in the cockpit. During the check out immediately following installation, I noticed no problems with it, heat or otherwise. At that price, I didn't expect to need sunglasses when using it outside, but the display was perfectly adequate for use out there. Down below, it would be all you would need. I added a VGA splitter sold by PI Engineering to my system to feed it.
http://www.ymouse.com/ymouse/whym06.php