MacSailing.net

Full Version: NASA AIS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The AIS set made by NASA is under half the price of the set made by Comar. I am aware that the latter will work on 'Passage Plus' Software, but am not at all sure as regards the NASA set - I assume so, but prefer not to waste even a hundred pounds, unless someone here has tried it.

What about drivers for the Mac? I run under OS 10.5.6 BTW

Thanks, Philip
I think your concern is unfounded.

AIS units communicate over a serial (RS-232) port that these days is most often converted to USB physical bus but in SW is a 'virtual serial port'. So this is pretty much platform, software and OS independent. All AIS units speak the same language and use the same mechanism (serial port) to talk to the program.

In case of the NASA 'AIS Engine 2' their output spec is:
( NMEA 2000/0183 (38400 Baud) VDM encapsulation string conforming to ITU-1371 )

http://www.yachtbits.com/nasa/ais_engine.php
Philip
I know of at least one user who is using the NASA AIS 2 without problems. You will need a serial:USB adaptor, and the driver will depend on which adaptor you use. For example, the Keyspan USA19HS adaptor and the Aten UC232A adaptor each have their own drivers available from their websites.
Regards
Jon
I've had most excellent results from NASA, likewise Passage Plus.

However unlike in my previous post I've had to move up to OS 10.8.2 (don't care for it much either, but that's BTW)
Damn driver for serial/adapter no longer works under this.

NASA as usual trying to help. But any experiences from others using latest Macs?

Being told by "experts" in Apple Stores, there is no answer. Do trust not true. Wish I could go back to previous OS!!
Which adapter and which driver were you using?
> Which adapter and which driver were you using?

Hello Jon,
The adapter is of the "Lindy" badge, and I've now tried a number of drivers (all available I should reckon!)
The drivers did work OK under previous OS. But - like I say - no driver I've tried will work now.
NASA tell me they are investigating - none of their team are using the latest Macs yet. Interested to hear your opinion? Real pleased with PP. Shocking shame if I can no longer get AIS on it.

All the best, Philip
Hmmm. OS X 10.8.2 is working fine for me with my AIS (an SR161). So the suspicion falls on the hardware. Yet it does seem a bit odd that the USB would have changed in such a way as to mean USB-Serial drivers no longer work. Do you get any error messages?
> So the suspicion falls on the hardware. Yet it does seem a bit odd that the USB would have changed in such a way as to mean USB-Serial drivers no longer work. Do you get any error messages? <
No, Never had error messages.
However, I've now purchased a fresh adapter from Maplins. Obviously hope this would solve the problem, but will not be able to test til I get to the boat.
Will post again once I know the result.
bump!
bump
bump!
Bump