• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: Navionics feature comparison between OSX & iOS
X-Traverse tells me that the Navionics versions for the iPad do not support the full feature set available when using Navionics with OSX.

Is this accurate?

Is there a comparison of the differences available somewhere?

I am not aware of any feature differences with the Navionics charts on each platform. The actual chart data is the same. Of course iNavX and MacENC have differences..

http://www.gpsnavx.com/html/compare.html
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

I had indeed misunderstood the X-traverse message (below). Does that useful comparison chart you sent (thanks) account for the difference in pricing between the OSX an iOS versions of the same Navionics chart?

Quote:Navionics have set the pricing for the iPhone, iPad and PC/Mac licenses we use at www.x-traverse.com They have set the pricing according to the usability of features on the charts, i.e. iNavX on iPhone does not support all the features of the Navionics charts, while MacENC on Mac OSx supports all the features of the Navionics Gold charts.

Yours truly,
NORTHPORT SYSTEMS INC.

Amanda Holt
Sales Manager

-----------------ORIGINAL MESSAGE--------------------
>> Could you let me know why it is that the Navionics charts (let's say the US + Bahamas set) are so much more expensive for OSX than for the iPad?
>> Surely they have the same levels of detail?

The X-Traverse Navionics pricing is consistent with Navionics own pricing for their apps and chart cartridges. iPhone/iPad apps are cheaper than cartridges used for dedicated chart plotters.

The Navionics charts from X-Traverse are the same exact data regardless of iPhone, iPad or Mac.

Bottom line is Navionics sets the prices. Not X-Traverse or myself.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

I know you don't set the pricing. What I was looking for was to see what chart features are supported on iOS vs. OSX

X-Traverse:
Quote: iNavX on iPhone does not support all the features of the Navionics charts, while MacENC on Mac OSx supports all the features of the Navionics Gold charts

and I guess that question is answered by the General Features section of your comparison page, is that correct?

No differences between the two as far as the charts are concerned.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA