• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: Problem With 2 Users on 1 Macbook
I share a MacBook with my wife. We both want to access Mr. Tides from our own account. However, I can only get it to run on my account. To over come this, I installed another copy in her personal directory (not Applications).

What am I missing. Shouldn't one installation in the Applications directory run from both accounts?

I've had a steady battle with permissions that keeps cropping up despite my best efforts to eliminate it. I'm not sure how to get it to work consistently, and it's very frustrating. Some times dragging the file to the Applications folder works for all users, other times it doesn't. I don't want to go back to an installer but it seems like that's the only way to make sure the file permissions stay as I need them (basically, world readable and admin writable).

Trouble is, sometimes it copies as world deny access, and as a result only the first user can use it. I keep putting new builds up with new permissions and thinking that's done it, because the person who emailed me said it worked -- until the next person, with the same file, says it failed.

One of these days I'll get it nailed down, but until then all I can offer is a suggestion using the Terminal, which if you're willing to try I can detail as soon as I make sure of all the steps involved.

August