• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: Suggestion
I just had an idea. It would be nice if you could overlay tidal graphs from two stations with the secondary one translucent (or just a line) over the primary one. I realize that this produces all kinds of interface problems, but if you limit text/calendar screens to the primary station only i think it would work. The clock screen could also display a transparent outline for the secondary station. It would also be interesting to overlay a current station on a tide station.

The tide and current for a same location overlaid I can see, but I can only think of a very few, very limited, use for overlaying two tide or current stations. How were you thinking using this?

Scot

there are a lot of places in the world where there is no current data. By comparing the tide curves of two sites in the same area, you could make an educated guess about which way the current will be flowing, based on the offset of the peaks. Or is this fallacious reasoning?

Sound like a good idea!

OK, makes sense, though with a lot of caution when doing it.

If the stations all used the same reference point, something unrelated to the actual tides, then I could see how this would work since you'd be comparing the apples to apples, but I don't think they do. The equation does have a 'datum' that's added to the output of summing all the harmonics, and this datum is not MLLW - it's more something to make the equation match the local conditions.

I'll do some research into the equation and the methodology behind it, but I'm not at all convinced that you can take two tide stations and compare them. If it was that simple, it would already be happening!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Export suggestion ginginsman 0 8,322 January 2, 2010 02:12
Last Post: ginginsman
  Enhancement suggestion for Mr Tides ReeferJon 6 8,195 September 19, 2008 10:11
Last Post: AugustH