• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: Navionics for iPad out now!
From navionics press release;

Enjoy the clearest and most detailed marine and lake charts on your iPad! Apps now optimized in HD – with sensational hi-resolution graphics for the ultimate user experience!

Ideal for boaters, fishermen and water sport enthusiasts of all kinds. You can plan your on-the-water adventures, anytime anywhere.

Imagine planning your day on the water or showing your friends the tracks of your last cruise on the iPad's dynamic multi-touch glossy display, comfortably sitting in your living room... anytime anywhere.

* iPad - Wi-Fi model locates your GPS position if Wi-Fi connected.
* iPad - Wi-Fi+3G model operates similar to iPhone with regard to GPS capability but no phone or camera

• Award-winning marine charts worldwide and lake maps (US and Canada) in HD
• Satellite imagery overlay
• Tides & currents, moon phase, sun/moon rise/set
• Tracks, routes and markers can be shared on facebook or via email and view them on Google Earth
• Route planning
• Waypoints & markers
• The largest database of marine POIs available
• In-app facebook

iPad apps prices start at 19.99 $/€.
Never knowingly overcanvassed!

Unfortunately, the Navionics apps crash quite often (specifically when zooming). At least the few regions I have. Comments in the US store also state similar.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

Well, I've had no issues with it so far.. but haven't used it in anger yet...
Never knowingly overcanvassed!

Has anyone noticed sounding errors in the Navionics charts? I'm finding them here in Friday Harbor, in the Navionics West Coast for iphone, their HD for ipad, and in the iNavX version. It's inconstant, but some of the numbers displayed would be correct if the setting were for fathoms, but the settings is in feet, and when changing the settings to Fathoms or Meters the numbers scale appropriately. There is one that doesn't change at all, regardless of the preference set. Never noticed this before - is it more common than I realize?

Scot

Yes I have reported such soundings errors to Navionics. Navionics have been very responsive to correct such errors and pass along the updated data to X-Traverse who in turn sends out an email with directions on how to update to all registered customers of the updated region. Not sure what Navionics does with their apps that included embedded charts.

Report Navionics chart discrepancies here ..

http://www.navionics.com/ReportProblem.asp

Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

Thanks. I just forwarded the email I'd earlier sent to their help, including a screenshot.

A screenshot on the ipad, btw, is a neat tool. I'd hunted the ipad manual for that but never found it, though it's probably burried there somewhere.

Scot

I see Navionics has released v4.2 app for iPad. It appears to fix the widely reported crashing. This is good news.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

Had trouble downloading the latest Navionics U.S. update (1XG) for iNavx. Did as instructed on the x-traverse email, but it would stop partway through, usually due to a 'lost connection' problem. At that point I'd have to go back and start all over, re-updating the chart list before I could re-download the charts. There was no option for picking up where it left off. And, the only subregion it would show (in the same window as the update chart list) was California S - Baja, even though all the U.S. is downloaded. Am I doing something wrong? Probably dojenloaded the Baja charts 5 times before I finally was able to get through the whole download.

Scot

"Update Chart List" will remove all the charts, however, after that if one just picks one of the not downloaded charts (i.e. not bold font) and then selects Download All, iNavX will only download the missing the charts. I will ask X-Traverse to add this info to the chart updating/download instructions.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

That's how it worked with the other regions, but there were no 'non-bold' charts listed. In fact the only chart listed (even now) is the 'California South - Baja' and it is bold. Selecting that would go directly to the chart window rather than any listing of charts. In other words, when I select the '1XG...' from the initial iNavX window, there rare only two listings on the following screen: California South - Baja, and Update Chart List. That even though all the U.S. Charts are accessible.

Scot

Make sure you are selecting the magnifying glass when on the Chart List, otherwise you will only get a list of charts for the current position.

http://www.gpsnavx.com/iNavX/help/usingcharts.htm

Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

Ah yes, got it now. Had read the 'manual' but just didn't connect with the magnifying glass icon in the upper right corner. Thanks.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ipad Navionics app and/or iNavX app dreuge 21 44,996 January 10, 2012 07:52
Last Post: Jeffc