• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: Navionics ipad pricing
Went to x-traverse this morning and noticed they now have it up and running to purchase charts iNavX and the ipad - now at $49.99. vs the $19.99 for the iphone.

Scot

Yes that is what Navionics have decided for iPad regions, but the good news is anyone who has purchased an iPhone/iPod edition of Navionics charts from X-Traverse prior to iNavX 3.0.0 being released will not be charged for the iPad edition. Once iNavX 3.0.0 is available (in Apple's hands) I will provide specific details on upgrading the Navionics charts.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

Also hadn't noticed before but x-Traverse does not have the Navionics Canadian charts that the Navionics iphone application does have. The Navionics are definitely a better buy ($20 vs $170 for the x-Traverse CHS charts).

GPSNavX has submitted iNavX Ver. 3 to Apple. We are eagerly anticipating approval by Apple at which time iNavX will support the large screen resolution of iPad.

All X-Traverse charts will be supported on iPad at no additional charge, with the exception of Navionics charts.

If you already own a license for a non-Navionics chart region for use with iNavX for iPhone, such as CHS, NV.Digital, MAPTECH or Hilton's Realtime-Navigator, then the region will work perfectly well on iNavX running on the iPad, without any extra cost. Simply start iNavX on the iPad and download the region. This assumes that you still have at least one of your two activations available (Whenever you purchase a chart region from x-traverse, you are provided with two activations, meaning you can use the charts on two supported devices which are owned by you.)

Navionics have introduced a new tier of pricing for use with iPad. All of the Navionics regions are priced at $49.99 for use with iPad (with the exception of two European regions, which cost a bit more). Navionics regions purchased from X-Traverse for iPhone WILL NOT run in iNavX Ver. 3 for iPad – not even in ‘small screen mode'.

Any customer who has already purchased a 2010 edition Navionics region for iPhone and who wishes to use it on iPad can request that their activation be transferred tot he ipad version. Send you request to support@x-traverse.com. (This free upgrade only pertains to those customers who purchased a 2010 edition Navionics region for iPhone prior to May 1, 2010. After May 1, 2010 the X-Traverse pricing for iPhone vs. iPad was available on X-Traverse and the X-Traverse shopping cart was updated to explicitly separate the iPhone and iPad pricing for Navionics charts.)

The bottom line is the all X-Traverse charts will work on iPhone or iPad at no additional cost, provided you have not used at least one of your two product activations, with the exception of Navionics charts which are now $49.99 for use with iPad.

Most of the Navionics Regions for iPad are US$34.99. Only the large 1G and 3G "Super" Regions are $49.99. Navionics iPhone regions remain at low pricing.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

Yes, the iPad pricing for Navionics charts is generally higher than iPhone, but not as much as we had originally been advised by Navionics. Only the "Mega" regions 1XG and 3XG are $49.99 for iPad.

Fugawi Software Wrote:Any customer who has already purchased a 2010 edition Navionics region for iPhone and who wishes to use it on iPad can request that their activation be transferred tot he ipad version. Send you request to support@x-traverse.com. (This free upgrade only pertains to those customers who purchased a 2010 edition Navionics region for iPhone prior to May 1, 2010. After May 1, 2010 the X-Traverse pricing for iPhone vs. iPad was available on X-Traverse and the X-Traverse shopping cart was updated to explicitly separate the iPhone and iPad pricing for Navionics charts.)
I just did this and got the following mail from x-traverse:
x-traverse Wrote:For the account with user name = XXX... I have transformed the 28XG 2010 edition chart activations (2 for the price of 1) from iPhone compatible to iPad compatible. That change is all-or-nothing, so both available activation slots are aimed at the iPad now; consider one to be a backup copy in case you need to replace your iPad at some point in the future. Note that I cannot change these charts back and forth between iPhone and iPad, nor split the activations between the two.

Also observe that whatever chart regions you have already download to your iPhone will remain there as long as the iNavX version is not updated any further or deleted + re-installed. But there is no longer an iPhone compatible version of 28XG on your account, so any further attempt to download previously unused regions will not work. This is in keeping with the total conversion of your charts to be iPad compatible.
Does that really mean that I should no longer update iNavX on the iPhone or I will lose my charts? So if there is a new feature I would like to have on the iPhone I would have to buy the charts again or do without them? That sounds strange as I never hat to reload charts after an update of iNavX...

Thanks.

No you will not lose any charts you have previously downloaded from X-Traverse when you update iNavX. Only deleting the iNavX app or specifically deleting charts will remove charts.

Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

You better not damage your iPhone or decide to upgrade to the iPhone 4G that's coming. It seems like there are a whole lot of rules protection the security of those chart files. It usually only ends up hurting the honest customers.

Agree, Navionics has the strictest policy. The other chart providers don't have separate versions/pricing for each platform. On the other hand Navionics has the lowest prices (Mobile editions). Dream of a day when the rest of the world follows NOAA's lead. Slowly it's happening with NZ and Brazil offering free raster charts.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

Just to clarify on this. For all X-Traverse charts, customers receive two activations, so you can install on two supported devices.

For example, you can activate the chart in MacENC and iNavX or Fugawi for PC and iNavX, or two iNavXs, etc. etc.

All marine charts available from X-Traverse(except Navionics) will work with all X-Traverse supported software, which currently includes: GPSNavX and MacENC for Mac OS X, iNavX for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch, and Fugawi Global Navigator, Fugawi Marine ENC and Geonav MapMaster for Windows 7, Vista and XP, with more coming soon. (Navionics charts only work in MacENC for Mac OS X or iNavX for iPad, iPhone or iPod touch, however support for Fugawi software and Geonav MapMaster is expected in the coming few weeks.)

When you purchase a chart region from X-Traverse (except Navionics) you can install on any two products in the above list. Once the charts are downloaded to your device, they are yours to use forever. Ensure you follow proper backup procedures. (For iPad, iPhone and iPod touch, use the iTunes sync, then back up your Mac or PC as you normally would.) In this way, you are assured to retain your charts. As an added bonus, X-Traverse also guarantees to retain the chart edition you purchased, online, for at least two years after you purchase it, so you can always re-download the charts if your device fails and you have no backup. (You must maintain a valid X-Traverse data plan - $10 per year - to maintain access to the X-Traverse chart downloads.)

If a user wants to move their activation from a replaced/damaged device (gulp...your iPhone falls overboard...), simply email support@x-traverse.com for assistance with transferring the activation to a new device. The licensing requirements are that you are only permitted two concurrent activations, so don't worry if you want to upgrade your device, or your device is broken. X-Traverse provides chart security protection, but we do strive to avoid impairing the legitimate and honest use of the charts.

Navionics Inc. differentiates their chart pricing based on the end-use platform. So they have separate pricing for Mac, iPad and iPhone, which we must use in X-Traverse. You can still activate on two devices, provided they are both supported by the product 'flavor' you purchased (i.e. Mac/PC only, iPad only or iPhone only). So to have Navionics charts on both iPhone and iPad, you would need to purchase the same region twice, once for each product.

By way of example:

Navionics 1XG All of USA and N. Bahamas - iPhone - 2010 ed. is here: http://x-traverse.com/product/TD-NAV-1XG-PC

Navionics 1XG All of USA and N. Bahamas - iPad - 2010 ed. is here: http://x-traverse.com/product/TD-NAV-1XG-IP

Navionics 1XG All of USA and N. Bahamas - Mac - 2010 ed. is here: http://x-traverse.com/product/TD-NAV-1XG-MB

The Navionics charts cover huge areas, have been recognized numerous times with industry awards, and are generally the most affordable way to purchase international charts.

(The issue raised earlier in this thread by Jan is that we have offered existing users of Navionics 2010 edition charts who purchased for iPhone the option to transfer their activation to iPad for free, if they so choose. This is because we started selling 2010 Edition Navionics charts after the iPad went on sale but before the iPad version of the charts were announced. If such a customer wishes to continue to use the 2010 Edition charts in iPhone, then they need to purchase the iPhone edition of the chart.)

Lastly, customers often ask about the pricing policy for chart upgrades. X-Traverse supports the upgrade policy of the chart manufacturer/supplier. For example, with Navionics or NV.Digital charts, updates are free within the edition year purchased – that is if the 2010 edition charts are purchased and Navionics or NV.Digital update the relevant 2010 edition charts, then the update is free. For CHS charts, updates are free for 365 days from the date of purchase, so if you purchase the 2010 edition charts in June 1 of 2010, you will receive free updates until May 30 of 2011. You can click on the End User License Agreement at the bottom of each chart description in X-Traverse for complete details for the specific chart type. Yes, this can be complicated, but X-Traverse supplies charts from a variety of manufacturers, all of whom have different licensing terms and different upgrade/update policies.

Our goal is to give boaters choice in navigation: choice regarding the hardware platform they wish to use; choice regarding the navigation software they wish to use; and choice regarding the chart brand (or brands) they wish to use – all at the best possible price AND with the assurance that they are utilizing the most up-to-date charts available from each manufacturer with easy one-click chart updating.

We believe we have made good headway in all these areas and we are engaged in developments to improve X-Traverse in all these key areas. Stay tuned for more chart releases and more supported mobile devices and software platforms in the coming days and months.

That said, customers with suggestions to improve our service or increase our chart portfolio should feel free to drop us a line at support@x-traverse.com. Happy boating.

No one has responded to my earlier comment on the Canadian charts. Why doesn't x-traverse offer Navionics Canadian region (I'm thinking west coast here, B.C.) that they offer in the App store for $25? All that x-traverse offers are the vastly overpriced CHS raster charts. Without quilting in iNavX I couldn't recommend them to anyone. The Navionics region at $25 is a much better buy, even with significantly less functionality. The iNavX functionality is simply not worth the over $480 premium to get the lower quality CHS charts (Pac01, 02, and 03).

Scot

We do not have Navionics charts of Canadian waters available for sale via X-Traverse at this time. X-Traverse takes ensure the nautical charts are licensed for use from the relevant Hydrographic Office.

Refer to the section "Manufacturers Licensed to Use CHS Chart Data in Value-Added Digital Chart Products" located at http://charts.gc.ca/copyright-droitdaute...ri-eng.asp

Yes, the CHS raster charts on X-Traverse are more expensive than Navionics charts, according to pricing set by CHS, not by X-Traverse.

The CHS raster charts are the official Canadian Government charts, are clear and easy to read, and are updated every month. For a complete list of all charts, and the applicable Notices to Mariners updates, see http://www.fugawi.com/web/x-traverse/chs...isting.htm.

CHS charts from X-Traverse will work on any of MacENC, GPSNavX, iNavX (iPhone or iPad), Fugawi Global Navigator, Fugawi Marine ENC and Geonav MapMaster. You receive two activations with purchase.

Well, your response was pretty predictable. I know the CHS charts well, having used them in MacENC for at least 4 years, and I know you can't control the pricing. I'm partially blowing off steam at CHS, but stand by my comments that I would absolutely not recommend them for iPad users as long as they're raster and there is no quilting in iNavX, at least at their current pricing. That's just plain stupid for a product that's clearly inferior in practical use to the Navionics option, monthly updates not withstanding.

Scot

One of the significant benefits of using X-Traverse for charts is updates. Today Navionics put out an update for the 3XG region which includes much improved Bahamas coverage. X-Traverse users who have purchased this region will receive an email with update instructions. In addition All CHS charts available through X-Traverse have been updated to the latest 2010 edition charts including the January, February, March, April and May 2010 updates.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

What is a good IPAD application to create?
What are some topics that people would be interested in seeing as an ipad application?

For example:

Children's stories
An application that lets you know the ingredients in foor

Those are some I think of now. What would people want to see?

There are already many children's stories in different formats, and I'd be surprised if therenisn't some sort of food ingredient app.

My wish list would include:
1 - a good grib viewer that you can a manually load the files (not requiring a direc tipped-internet connection (hope inavx will add the import/export capability)
2 - a really good photo editing app ala Photoshop
3 - an app to watch movies other than iTunes ones (with the video file loaded into the iPad, not simply playing it on your laptop and viewing on the iPad - VLC for iPad.
4 - a decent "boat log" app
5 - an updated iTides with graphs

That's a start. This should really be a separate topic.

Scot

I'm working on AyeTides XL for the iPad. It's going slow but I'm making progress. Calendar view, maps, and a two-day display are some of the features. I might ask for some beta testers when I get closer to having it finished.

August

iNavX already connects to AyeTides XL (if available). So I am eager to see an iPad ready version available.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

Navionics FISH'N'Chip from X-Traverse on iNavX..

http://www.inavx.com/images/compare/FishNChip.png

[b]http://x-traverse.com/product/TD-NAV-FISH-G-2010[b]

[b]http://x-traverse.com/product/TD-NAV-FISH-E-2010[b]

[b]http://x-traverse.com/product/TD-NAV-FISH-W-2010[b]
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Navionics XG28 Uk&Ireland on iPad ronny 1 2,424 July 6, 2012 07:13
Last Post: GPSNavX