• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: Wi-fi antenna for Mac
I've done some searches here on this topic and I don't see any posts more recent than 2007, so I thought I'd bring this up again. Has anyone found anything that works particularly well?

I have a RadioLabs WaveRV Marine and I'm getting so frustrated with the driver. If I restart my machine it logs on to the first open network. If I try to change to the stronger, faster locked networked, it hangs and it hangs my whole machine. I can't even Force Quit the app. I've emailed the company and they know of this problem with the Mac driver and there is no solution.

I live aboard and for my work, I need to be able to log on to the fast wi-fi provided here at my dock, but my internal Airport just doesn't have the range. Has anybody got a good Mac friendly wi-fi solution?

Christine
Hugh Browton

Mac user since 1985, sailor forever, owner since spring 2006

Hi Christine we installed a indoor high power router https://www.air802.com/home.php?cat=412 coupled with a Shakspeare WiFi antenna http://www.marineelectronicscenter.com/product/SHA5248.

Air802 provided the necessary 400 series cabling.

The range is very good... 3 miles tested.
Similiar system to what BBX Broadband sells http://www.bbxpress.net/ for less.

Jim,

Thanks for your quick reply. On the website it doesn't specify that the high-power indoor router works with Mac OS computers. They do say, "Generally a device like this requires a strong networking background, but many users have found that they can have their unit up and running in as little as 15 minutes through the friendly and easy to use software wizard and graphical user interface." Although I know a little about networking, I am no networking whiz. Is that same software wizard available for the Mac? What was the set-up like? It seems to work in so many different modes and I'm a little leery of getting something I can't set up myself. Are you using it with an Intel Mac and the latest OS?

Christine

Christine
Hugh Browton

Mac user since 1985, sailor forever, owner since spring 2006

Hi Christine,

Yes Intel OSX 10.5... it's browser interface to setup the radio. We have the radio wired to an Airport Express... wireless network on your boat! The best part is there are no drivers... no software to install.

The folks at Air802 are very helpful... give 'em a call.

Jim,
The Air802 sounds like it works like the Engenius. Are you satisfied with it? I tried the Engenius but was never satisfied, and moved over to the Air802 USB adapter (sold by BBXpress here in the PNW) and it definitely outperformed the Engenius. In fact, my Macbook often outperformed the Engenius (yes, I checked all connections etc.) However, Air802's driver for their USB device is the pits - it can't be shut down if it's in a weak area and can't connect, requiring a force quit. At worst, while anchored in a weak signal area, the only way to shut it down was to force quite the entire system (hold down the start button until the laptop shuts down). A know problem but the driver is about 18 months old and no signs of a fix... Thus I'm leary of Air802, but if the module you're using is working I might try it.

BTW - the Air802 USB dongle is cheap - found it online for about $30-$40, though you still need a cable and antenna. It could make a cheap backup for your system since you already have the antenna. You'd still need a longer cable (mine is 30' - supplied by BBX).

Scot

Hi Scot,

Yes very happy. No drivers, no software. The radio is very easy to install and setup. Air802 was very helpful with my questions.
My antenna is on my radar tower at the stern, the radio is located in the salon and the Airport Express base station plugs into the radio. I setup my network using the Airport Setup Utility... voila. In Ganges the other day we accessed multiple stations from well outside the harbor.
I subscribe to BBX, so I tend to log into their service where possible.

Jim,
Thanks. How long is your coax run? Engenius implies it should be very short and their kits come with only an 18" pigtail - thus most Engenius installations have the radio outside somewhere. My Air802 USB thing came with 30' of coax and worked better than the Engenius, so I'm skeptical of their claims for a short coax run. I also much prefer the radio inside. As I already have a good antenna and the injector from the Engenius (same voltage so should work) I'd only have to get the radio. Where did you get yours?

BTW, while spending the summer anchored slightly less than a mile from BBX's antenna in Roche Harbor (I could see it with binoculars), the Engenius would identify some stations, but unless the signal was very strong (and open) it could not connect. BBX's was seldom strong enough. My Air802 USB device could see significantly more stations, and connect to many more than the Engenius. It was significantly better at connecting to BBX. AND, the Air802 USB device only costs about $35 or so. That doesn't include any coax or more powerful antenna, of course, but can work on it's own. A nice, cheap, backup.

Scot

Hi Scot,

My coax run is 40'. The radio was purchased from AIR802 Indoor High-Power Router/Access Point/Bridge #AP-G200. It is designed to be installed indoors.
The antenna is a Shakespeare WiFi WiFi Antenna.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Jim - helps a lot.

Looking back at the original post - I've tried the Quickertek and Engenius, and neither worked particularly better than the wifi transceiver built into my Macbook. They only advantage they had was putting the antenna outside. But, if I took the MacBook on deck it ofter performed as well or better.

I am currently using the Air802 USB device with an externally mounted 10dbi antenna, which works better, but has a very poor driver that will at times lock up your Mac.

Based on Jim's comment, it sounds like the Air802 AP-G200 may finally be something that works reliably.

That being said, I know people are happily using both the Engenius and Quickertek - they just worked poorly for me.

Scot

BBX Express sells the same equipment for about $250 more.
BBX Store

Come on Jim Wink the BBX includes a 30'cable and antenna. That's worth, what, $100? Oh, and the BBX has a nice label glued on over the top of the Air802 label... :laugh: What's that leave on the table - still $150 plus???

Actually Scot I think Air802 sells it for 30 bucks :p

Well, whether you go with the Air802 USB device (~$30) or their poe router/bridge/access point (your solution, ~$135) that's still a lot of bucks just to get the BBX label on it - maybe that BBX label is solid gold! :crazy:

Christine,
I purchased the RadioLabs Wave RV Marine Antenna and had problems with the driver as well. RadioLabs was not much help (the tech help guy admitted that they don't even have a Mac to use for troubleshooting), so I found the maker of the chipset and got the latest driver, the REALTEK WLAN Client Utility V1.5.7 You might try fredchiou@realtek.com.tw

I did advise RadioLabs that they needed to update the driver that they provide with the antena.

Now the antenna works like a charm, and pulls strong signals from great distances.

Good luck,
Joe

I have a RadioLabs WaveRV Marine and I'm getting so frustrated with the driver.

Christine[/quote]

What issues are there when mounting a wifi antenna? Can it be mounted in the beam of your radar? Does it need to be a certain distance from other antennas?

Is this any use to you?

http://www.thewirie.com/products.html
Don Meginley
Grand Banks 36' "Maggie May"
19' Catboat "Tiggy"

i've used 5milewifi with success

i've used 5milewifi with success

I have abandoned the Quickertek and am very pleased with a very simple wifi solution from:
http://www.netgate.com/product_info.php?...cts_id=665

The Netgate unit is $52. It is a small antenna and box with a single usb connection and "plays well with others"
[url=http://www.pjlarch.com][color:red]Speed Racer[/color]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  GPS Antenna BU-353S4 and MacENC drctdby 3 7,139 July 28, 2018 12:42
Last Post: Mistral1875
  External wifi antenna solutions Talespinner 1 6,437 May 6, 2011 00:43
Last Post: Talespinner
  Connecting GPS Antenna to Mac DHarvey 8 10,683 June 22, 2009 17:24
Last Post: DHarvey
  Looking for an AIS Rcvr/Antenna for a laptop PCI slot. CaptnMate 3 3,042 January 10, 2008 16:21
Last Post: GPSNavX