• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: Missing ENC
I sail on the north shore of Massachusetts around Marblehead and Gloucester harbors. I have downloaded the latest ENC's from NOAA. I don't have coverage for some of Salem sound, Gloucester hardor and Plymouth harbor. Am I missing something or these areas not covered? Thanks for any help. Mark
P.S. I have a 1Ghz Ibook with 1Gb of ram. I know this is the bare minimum to run MacENC but it works OK as long as I don't try to do to much at one time. If anyone knows any tricks to make it work better please let me Know. Thanks

Please provide a lat/lon for where you find NO coverage. To the best of my knowledge NOAA covers all US waters. It is true that they don't cover all US waters at every scale (i.e. harbor or overview), but there is some coverage for every place. No coverage would be indicated by a gray background in the Chart window.

For those areas where coverage is not at say harbor scale, we recommend supplementing with Maptech raster charts..

http://www.gpsnavx.com/html/rasterDVD.html

As far as performance. You would see a 6X increase with a Macbook[pro]. If you have not already upgraded to OS X 10.4 then I would recommend that. Adding more RAM always helps to.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

Thanks for the reply. Gloucester harbor is 42*35.84N - 070*40.12W. and Plymouth harbor is 41*59.10N - 070*40.26W

At a MacENC zoom scale of 1:15,000

Gloucester harbor is 42*35.84N - 070*40.12W
Portsmouth to Cape Ann - US4MA04M (approach 1:80,000) covers that.

Plymouth harbor is 41*59.10N - 070*40.26W
Cape Cod Bay - US4MA14M (approach 1:80,000) covers that.

My NOAA ENC download is less than 24 hours old. You can see which cells (charts) are displayed by clicking the "Objects" button in the Chart Manager. Make sure you downloaded ALL of the NOAA ENCs per these instructions..

http://www.gpsnavx.com/MacENC/help/README.html

If you want Harbor detail (i.e. 1:40,000 or greater) then I recommend supplementing the NOAA ENCs with the Maptech raster charts.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

I have the USMA04M chart in my ENC root folder but It doesn't open in MacENC. What do you think I am doing wrong? Thanks

email gpsnavx@mac.com a screen shot of the chart centered near Gloucester harbor / 42*35.84N - 070*40.12W with the zoom scale set to 1:15,000 and the Chart Manager on top with the "Objects" button selected.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

Screen shot revealed that the Portsmouth to Cape Ann - US4MA04M (approach 1:80,000) cell was properly displayed providing coverage for Gloucester harbor at 42*35.84N - 070*40.12W. NOAA has not yet created a harbor detail cell for the Portsmouth harbor. Recommendation is to supplement NOAA ENCs with either Maptech or NOAA raster charts. In this case Gloucester Harbor (13281_1) would provide raster coverage for this area.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

There are lots of area around Boston and Cape Cod where the ENC coverage is poor. I find the raster charts essential in these areas. Gloucester Harbor is one, Woods Hole (Cape Cod) is another. I have no experience with the Maptech charts on MacENC, but the NOAA raster charts are quite good.

GPSNavX Wrote:Screen shot revealed that the Portsmouth to Cape Ann - US4MA04M (approach 1:80,000) cell was properly displayed providing coverage for Gloucester harbor at 42*35.84N - 070*40.12W. NOAA has not yet created a harbor detail cell for the Portsmouth harbor. Recommendation is to supplement NOAA ENCs with either Maptech or NOAA raster charts. In this case Gloucester Harbor (13281_1) would provide raster coverage for this area.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NMEA data missing iquik 11 6,139 November 26, 2007 13:38
Last Post: rirvine
  The missing Logbook jochen 5 3,260 July 17, 2006 13:33
Last Post: cyberhusky