• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: MacBook Air
Is this a good choice for us Mac navigators? What are the downsides?

Other than price, the Macbook Air with the solid state flash drive is a fantastic Mac for running MacENC on your boat. The screen is brighter than other Apple laptops and the battery life much better.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

GPSNavX Wrote:Other than price, the Macbook Air with the solid state flash drive is a fantastic Mac for running MacENC on your boat. The screen is brighter than other Apple laptops and the battery life much better.

I have ordered the cheaper one without the SSFD. Any good for MacENC?

The flash drive is preferred for reliability (no moving parts) and speed in loading charts. Also choose the 1.8 GHz model for best performance. All Intel based Macs run MacENC just fine.

I do wonder if the new track pad gestures are limited to Apple applications or they will be available for MacENC..

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/17/muli...nd-beyond/
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

I have a Macbook Air and can confirm that the track pad doesn't seem to work with GPSNavX.
My only gripe is that Apple should have shipped it with the external superdrive and the USB RJ45 connector, although I have to admit since setting it up I have not used the drive again

GPSNavX works with trackpad gestures fine on my MacBook Pro running 10.5.2

used it last week for the first time in anger so to speak, moving the new boat from north east scotland down the tyne in some very hairy seas, out of interest I left the PC that came with the boat on at the same time, that was running maptech offshore navigator...

the mac won hands down, the PC spat the dummy out as soon as it got really lumpy and just died, and hasn't restarted since. don't think it liked getting bounced around!