• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: GRIB request failed
When I request a GRIB in MacENC, I get the message "Request for GRIB has failed". I tried with with large and small scale charts. Any assistance will be appreciated. Thanks, Ron

I have this problem too and in my case it seems to be a consequence of my having somehow corrupted my "keychain" (which I know I did totally independent of MacENC)

Ron Wrote:When I request a GRIB in MacENC, I get the message "Request for GRIB has failed". I tried with with large and small scale charts. Any assistance will be appreciated. Thanks, Ron
I've been using grib.us recently, it seems to have better resolution and longer forecasts. But it's a bit tedious to request on their web interface - it would be great with integrated support for grib.us if that would be feasible.

MacENC uses the very first email account in the Mac OS X mail application to send the GRIB request. Make sure it is a working email account (i.e it can send). If you have more then one email account you can change their order by dragging in the "Account Preferences". If you do change the mail setting(s) be sure to restart MacENC.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

Thanks for that. Mail was not configured correctly so that was an issue. However still getting failed message. Mail send and receive tested and OK. BU-353 GPS connected and showing position. Tried to get GRIB with "Reduced File" on and off. Tried several different scales from 1:20mil down. Obviously, still doing something wrong.
Ron

GPSNavX Wrote:MacENC uses the very first email account in the Mac OS X mail application
Does it mean that I cannot use Thunderbird only ? Have I to setup my (first) Mail account even I don't use Mail apps ?

You can use what ever email client you want to actually receive the GRIB file. MacENC only uses the OS X Mail app to make the request for the GRIB. So it must be setup with at least one email account that can send, but need not be used.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

I'm confused. How can you send with one email address and receive the reply with a different address?

Use the same email address, but use a different email client. Just setup the Mac OS X email application to send/receive, but don't actually use it for ones email sending and receiving. Only MacENC uses it behind the scenes to send the GRIB request.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

I have set up Mail correctly. It sends and receives. I have read the Help about five times and I still can't get a GRIB file. I am obviously missing something 'cos all I get is Request Failed. Can you suggest any thing else?

The GRIB request fails 99.9% of the time because the outgoing mail server for the first email account in the OS X Mail application is not properly configured. One can select "Edit Server List" in the OS X Mail application "Account" Preferences. to configure the outgoing mail server.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

Got it. Don't know how but I eventually got it - something to do with the password. Thanks MacENC. Again, great service

Well, I receive the message indicating the Grib file will be delivered but nothing ever reaches my mailbox - it use to work in the past though ... strange !

Well, I receive the message indicating the Grib file will be delivered but nothing ever reaches my mailbox - it use to work in the past though ... strange !

Same answer as GPSNavX above :
Be sure to setup :
- One account in OS X Mail
- This account first in the list
- SMTP server of this account active.
See updated french help file :
Aide MacENC

I have found that KeyChain Access can be the culprit to the GRIB request failing. As such I added trouble-shooting hints on how to resolve that. Here they are:

- Make sure the Mac OS X Mail Application has at least one email account that can send and receive. The very first email address in the "Preferences" "Accounts" is used for the GRIB Request. Accounts may be dragged to change the order.
- Make sure the email account is not blocked in Keychain Access by following these steps:
* Launch KeyChain Access from the Applications / Utilities folder.
* In the search field in the upper right hand corner, enter the email address to find the password.
* [control] click on the password item.
* Select "Get Info".
* Select "Access Control" tab.
* Select "Allow all applications to access this item".
* Select "Save Changes".
* restart MacENC or GPSNavX.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

OK, out of curiosity I checked this out, even though my grib requests are working just fine. However, the only KeyChain entry for my primary email account (the one the gribs use) was listed as "iTunes store password", and the "Allow all applications to access this item" was not checked. Still, as I said, I'm having no problems with grib requests... I had always assumed the email account was in the keychain because I seldom have to enter it to access my email (but I do know the password is working).
Scot

When I have seen the GRIB request failing because of KeyChain Access is when MacENC is explicitly listed in the Access Control tab. Certainly deleting MacENC from the list is one way to fix the problem, but then each time a GRIB Request is made a prompt asking if the email account should be allowed to be used will display. If one answers NO even once, then GRIB Request will fail until MacENC is removed from Keychain Access. So by selecting "Allow All Applications to access this item", the prompt will not occur and GRIB Request will work. Of course this assume the outgoing server can actually send the GRIB Request to SailDocs.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  GRIB request problems skip 2 2,839 February 11, 2014 18:55
Last Post: vov
  Grib request error? Plank3 1 2,254 April 28, 2006 14:49
Last Post: GPSNavX