• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: AyeTides now available
ActiveCaptain Wrote:Now just calm down. I have nothing against AyeTides. And yes, I have an iPhone. I've been developing software for the Mac since 1986 and even have an Eddy award under my belt (you've got to go way back to even know what that is). In addition to that, my wife used to work for Apple and we have more 7-color Apple branded stuff than most Apple Stores have on display (the good 1990's stuff too).

Not to pile on but we've also been writing a series of articles on Mad Mariner all about using smartphones on boats. There have been 10 articles in the series so far with the final one being published tomorrow. You can view them all at:
http://www.madmariner.com/mobile_phones

The article from last week was all about the iPhone. In it, we mentioned AyeTides giving it one of the first wide exposures to the boating community. I probably provided more publicity for it than any other channel so far. In my quest to make sure the information in the article is up-to-date, I'm keeping track of new apps that show up for the iPhone that are boating-related. That's how I came across Tide Graph.

Yes, I made a mistake about how Tide Graph works. It wasn't very obvious to me that it needed an internet connection and it appeared like it didn't. Who would really want an network-required app like this? It makes no sense.

To go even further with this nonsense, I've added code to Tide Tool myself and I'm very familiar with it. I'm the one who fixed it when Palm moved to v5 of their OS. I'm also very familiar with XTide and the various ports of that code.

Mr. AugustH writes on his own web site that:
"I've written Mr. Tides so that the Macintosh can display tides. This program is based (roughly) on XTide 2.8 by Dave Flater." Perhaps I wrongly assumed that he also used this code and all of the tide/current station data from XTide as a part of AyeTides. It seems incredible that Mr. AugustH was able to put together so much of those harmonic coefficients by himself.

If all of this was developed outside the open source license of Dave Flater, great. I applaud the app and wish it the best of success. If it is stealing from the open source community, then it shouldn't be tolerated. In issues like this, I assume that it is all open and above board. The truth usually has a way of coming to the surface.

uh, WOW! Your anchor is draggin' and you're heading for the rocks.

I'm not going to get into a "I know you are but what am I" match with you, suffice it to say that I've been using Macs to navigate since ver 1 of Navimaq.

What I am going to do is take umbrage with you are your numerous inferences that AyeTides has somehow not played fair. Anyway you read your posts, that is what is being said.

If you want to compete with AyeTides or any other iPhone app, come up with your own and let the market judge.

Lastly, this forum has seen very little if any of the type of dialog this thread is heading towards so I'm done with it. I'd be happy to debate the issue further in a venue more suited for some knock down drag out back and forth, lets take it over to Sailing Anarchy, shall we?

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by - August 20, 2008 14:16
[No subject] - by - August 23, 2008 13:37
[No subject] - by - August 24, 2008 05:21
[No subject] - by - August 24, 2008 08:12
[No subject] - by - August 24, 2008 08:40
[No subject] - by - August 24, 2008 08:52
[No subject] - by - August 24, 2008 09:48
[No subject] - by - August 24, 2008 10:35
[No subject] - by - August 24, 2008 12:22
[No subject] - by - August 24, 2008 13:14
[No subject] - by - August 24, 2008 13:38