• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: Ghost Ships... and passage plans..
I was having a chat with a friend of mine who skippers racing yachts, and we came up with what I think would be a great feature for GPSNavX / MacENC.

Already, you can record telemetry from the GPS and instruments to store a track of your progress as you sail or motor, but all you can do is export it, or view it as a line on the chart. What would be seriously awesome is if you could replay that track with your boat position in relative time. In other words, at the end of a sail, you could play back the entire voyage at, say 3x speed, and what your yacht zip along a track.// pretty cool.

OK.. now, imagine that you're sailing, you could import a "track" that you've created or a route, with speed data and play that back at 1x speed while plotting your real course on the chart. This would enable you to:

1. See a "ghost ship" of where you were on a previously voyage, vs where you are now, comparing how effectively you're sailing against a previous journey (great for racers)

2. Upload a passage plan that takes into account tidal flows and track your progress against that.

I've talked in previous posts about GPSActionReplay, a Java application that allows you to replay GPS tracks (in GPX format) saved from your instruments. However it's not particularly intuitive, and does require tweaking to get maps set up etc..

Just a thought.... anyone else find this useful?

Messages In This Thread
Ghost Ships... and passage plans.. - by - May 9, 2006 04:56
[No subject] - by - May 9, 2006 05:40
[No subject] - by - May 9, 2006 08:04
[No subject] - by - May 9, 2006 08:42
[No subject] - by - May 9, 2006 12:30
Re: Ghost Ships... and passage plans.. - by - June 5, 2006 20:19
[No subject] - by - June 5, 2006 20:24

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  World Planning/Passage Chart? jagasail 35 25,642 February 15, 2009 18:44
Last Post: Jim Innes