• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: Maptech under new ownership
While we still prefer vector charts, there are some good deals on the Maptech raster charts. Their DVD's work great with GPSNaVX and MacENC..

Maptech charts

Also do their chartkits which include both paper and digital raster charts..

Maptech Companion CDs
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

Maptech support can be reached here..

978-834-9953

support at maptechnavigation dot com
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

I should also note that the Maptech Mapserver is back up and running again. It can be accessed from either MacENC or GPSNavX by [control] clicking on the Chart and selecting "Maptech Mapserver" on the context menu.

Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

I learned today that Maptech will soon be expanding their coverage in 2009.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

will my old maptech chart cds work with macenc? i am trying to use my old bahama cd and macenc is not recognizing it. it worked fine with my maptech ocean navigator on my old machine. any suggestions? i hate to spend another 100 bucks. thanks for any help

One thing... leads to another

MacENC is compatible with BSB Raster Charts versions 1 - 5 in addition to S-57/S-63 ENC Vector Charts.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

How do you do this? I just stuck the CD from a Maptech Chartbook into my computer, then opened Chart Manager, then "add folder" went to the BSB chart folder on the disk, and nada, "No charts in folder" Well, there are. The literaure with the disk is all Windows based.

While we are on the subject, Maptech's "Free Nautical Charts" site is not working for me. It implies that it will e-mail you the charts, but does not. Button just doesn't respond.

Is there any way to down load entire regions of BSBs as one once could? The NOAA site requires you to tick off every chart. Maptech used to (and looks like it still purports to) give yopu the option of picking a region.

Per the MacENC help, BSB 4 charts such as those from the Maptech Chartbook must first be registered on the Mac you plan to use them on. Follow all of these steps..

http://www.gpsnavx.com/pdf/Register.pdf

Once that is done they can be added to the MacENC Chart Manager via the "Add Charts Folder..." button.

We have found the Maptech chart download site not to be the most Mac friendly as such we offer all of the Charts on a DVD..

http://www.gpsnavx.com/html/rasterDVD.html
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

Thanks, I missed the fine print on the disk re BSB 5.0 charts. It appears these will co-exist with the rasters I already had for this region, which I loaded a few years ago (I think from the disk I got from you guys). Is that the case?

How often are your disks updated? All the rasters I have are at least 3 years old and these Maptechs I just loaded for Region 3 are Dated October of 2006. I just did a complete ENC update from the NOAA site, but coverage is still spotty for a lot of our cruising grounds.

Thanks again!

The charts on our DVD are updated monthly. It is true the raster coverage is more complete then the NOAA ENC vector.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

Thanks, I ordered the disk just now.

George

Rich,
As I understand, you sell a disk of raster charts, but not the vectors. Therefore what's the best way to obtain updates to my US vector set? Use the NOAA site?

Second, the MacENC 'help' tells how to update the vector charts, but not how to use the 'update' version of NOAA's Raster charts, and NOAA's site refers you to your plotting software documentation. How do???

This thread made me realize that I haven't updated my charts for several years now and need to do so.

Scot

Not sure how this is related to Maptech, but..

MacENC can support the S-57 update files (i.e. ENC_ROOT/SomeCell/SomeCell.001,xxx.002). If one does have access to replacement ENCs (as opposed to update file) then by all means download them and use those. To replace the NOAA ENC catalog follow these steps to dowload and install the NOAA ENCs..

http://www.gpsnavx.com/MacENC/help/README.html

You will want to have one entry in the MacENC Chart Manager for the NOAA ENC Catalog (../ENC_ROOT/Catalog.031)

So if you replace the NOAA ENC_ROOT folder you should be all set without needing to change anything in MacENC.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

GPSNavX Wrote:Not sure how this is related to Maptech, but..

Yeah,right. Sorry Sort of meandered from the comment on your disk of BSB charts... Should have been a separate topic.

Still not clear on RNC updates, though.

Scot

RNCs have to be replaced (i.e. new .KAP file). They can be downloaded from the NOAA website. The website is not the easiest because the ZIP file will expand into separate folder for each chart. As such that is why we offer a Charts DVD with the latest NOAA RNC charts.

Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

Yes, I'm seeing that now. I"m also finding the Java implementation of the graphic chooser very flucky. Guess I'll be ordering the cd.
Thanks,
Scot

Register does not seem to work with new Maptech CDs. I tried with Region 14 (was 11.4) and register did not recognize the disk. I was able to reg using Parallels though.

And the CD was a Maptech BSB 4 or was it a NV Digital CD? If it was the latter then those are not Maptech BSB charts, but NV Digital format which only work on MS Windows. We are in the process of adding NV Digital support to GPSNavX, MacENC and iNavX.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  new Maptech charts Far Horizons 0 1,999 August 2, 2009 13:46
Last Post: Far Horizons
  Can't register Maptech companion CDs on Mac Book Pro? Hank 13 8,582 April 19, 2009 07:16
Last Post: GPSNavX
  Maptech has slashed prices GPSNavX 8 5,710 May 8, 2008 09:03
  Maptech Charts stevjo 1 2,616 October 7, 2006 23:03
  GPSNavX and MapTech Chartbook CD Intuition 5 4,127 February 16, 2006 02:00
Last Post: rgmori