• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: MacENC scrambled after migration
I am moving to a mac mini macOS/Win 7 setup, complete with Carnetix PSUs. The upgrade has been the most cumbersome in my 20+ year history of using macs. Among many, many issues was a Migration Assistant problem with the mini (10.6.3) and the macbook (10.4.11). It took a few days to get the data transferred so I began life on the mini with a user account in the boat's name. By the time I got my old account transferred I had added enough stuff to the boat account that I wanted the option of running MacENC in either account.

I've migrated to several laptops in the past few years, most recently to my girlfriend's laptop in case my older unit died at sea. Since she didn't like the idea of MacENC running in my account on her laptop, I figured out how to make it run under her account too. Basically, copies of all the plist files are placed in each account, and MacENC would run under either account. If fast user switching was in use, MacENC could not be started in both accounts, but that didn't matter, since either account (actually, her account) would get us home.

This time I went through the same procedure, but I accidentally moved the original files rather than copying them between accounts (Side lesson: beware of the root user). MacENC wouldn't start under the boat account so I went back to my old account where I discovered my mistake. I moved copies back to their original locations in the old account and MacENC wouldn't start there either. Now both accounts demand an activation code.

What happened? Has something changed in MacENC or OS10.6, or did I just scramble something? I know that I moved all of the relevant files, as listed under Help.

Right now both laptops work fine and the mini works as Win7/Maxsea but... Maxsea is a bloated pig that crashes! I am using Maxsea strictly for the 3D bottom mapping function. When Maxsea goes to hell I want to reboot as a mac and go back to something that works.
Edmund

We are happy to provide MacENC activation codes for your Mac, but all such requests must come to macenc at mac dot com.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA