• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: AIS SR161 data problem
Hello

Last week of May we went on a sailing trip with 6 boats on the Ijsselmeer (in the Netherlands).
2 boats used iBook G4 to navigate with MacENC and the latest ENC Charts. Unfortunately the buoys in the Netherlands are so often changed (renamed, moved, removed, new ones etc.) that the ENC charts weren't up to date on 2 places. But there was no problem or danger. In fact the papercharts (dated 2007) were wrong on 1 spot too!
A friend had his AIS SR161 receiver connected via Keyspan High Speed USB to Serial Converter to his G4 iBook.

Only once we saw the Red Dot in MacENC AIS Connection Window jumping to green, but there wasn't enough data to see any boat inside MacENC.
On the AIS SR161 Receiver the data red LED is flashing very fast, but the green LED was just green the same moment as data was sent to MacENC.

Now my Qs:

Is the permament flashing of the red LED correct?

Do AIS receivers only get data when there really is AIS signals or does it receive data from the AIS stations too even if there is no boat, just to tell the AIS receiver that the stations are online?

I checked via Wifi, GoogleEarth and Vesseltracker where ships with AIS are on the way, though in the Ijsselmeer there weren't but the Northsea which was about 15 miles away had several cargo ships with AIS signals!
Do the stations which transmit the AIS signal transmit it only seawards or landwards too?

Thx for clarifying my thoughts.

Messages In This Thread
AIS SR161 data problem - by - June 9, 2007 13:40
[No subject] - by - July 9, 2007 14:44
[No subject] - by - July 9, 2007 16:42
[No subject] - by - July 10, 2007 11:28
[No subject] - by - July 10, 2007 11:58
[No subject] - by - July 10, 2007 12:48
[No subject] - by - July 10, 2007 13:27
[No subject] - by - July 10, 2007 14:10