• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: Attempts at Real Time Navigation with an IBook
Wow! This is going to be a very useful forum. So much information so quickly.

Got back late last night and there was an E-Mail from GPS NavX announcing a Version 3.2 with Waypoint and Route transfer to Raymarine among others.

Looks like JohnD has sorted out connecting to Raymarine. "The NMEA connections on the Raynav were brought out to a DB9 connector at the nav table". I wonder if this is the cord Raymarine were talking about.

Took my kit down to the boat for testing on Sunday and Monday. Sunday afternoon/early evening at sea was mainly rainy and a bit bouncy. My chart table is close to the companionway and slides out of the way when not in use. It is not a suitable spot to place an IBook which I decided not to use in those conditions.

Left the Garmin on for the 5 hour trip powered via the Garmin combo power/computer lead plugged into my panel socket.

Once all fast in Salcombe I connected the IBook to the Garmin. The GPS position showed me almost on top of my buoy on the largest scale chart of Salcombe harbour. This was using NMEA mode. Then by switching to "Garmin" mode on the GPS I could download my track although it included previous tracks as well in one big transfer. I also uploaded some waypoints and routes from the IBook.

GPS NavX displayed a nice coloured dotted line of my trip which it maintains as you switch charts.

Monday started foggy but by the time I cleared Salcombe there was little wind and the sea moderated to almost flat calm with bright sunshine.

Set up the IBook with the Garmin in NMEA mode and there was the little boat shape on the screen creeping along in real time. The screen was a bit difficult to see (even down below) in bright sunlight. I left the IBook on but put it into sleep mode except when viewing progress every half hour or so.

Conclusions:
1. The kit works very well and GPSNavX seems to be evolving quickly.
2. On my 26 footer I don't think the chart table arrangements are a suitable IBook environment except in calm sunny weather.
3. Once I have connected to Raymarine it will be easy to prepare and transfer Routes/Waypoints to my main GPS
4. Because of 2 above I will use the system for planning and anlysis rather than real time navigation. However even if I had a larger boat with a dedicated chart table where the IBook would stay dry I think I would stick to paper charts on passage. Maptech don't seem to have a way of ensuring up to date corrected electronic charts.

Roger
Regard,
John Proctor
VK3JP/VKV6789
S/V Chagall
Sun Odyssey 37.2

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by - April 21, 2005 06:21
[No subject] - by - April 21, 2005 06:47
[No subject] - by - April 21, 2005 07:56
[No subject] - by - April 24, 2005 12:55
How did you get on? - by - April 25, 2005 05:05