• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: The missing Logbook
Quote:That is actually what the track capture does in GPSNavX/MacENC. You can even add notes to any track record. It can also be exported to a CSV file.

I know that and do use this function, but these tracks ends up as very large files with several hundred waypoints. If I would have the possibility to setup a time limit like every 15 or 30 minutes ,my track logs would be much smaller and useable as a logbook.
GPSNavX allows for a timeinterval for tracks to be set from 1 to 90 seconds and 5 or 60 minutes, but for many EU sailing regions (coasts of Belgium, Netherlands, Germany. Channel Islands, Mediteranian coasts etc.) that's either a too big interval or too short.
I tried 1 sec in Netherlands seas, and noticed that too much data, because the boat wasn't that fast though we did have have top speeds of 8,5 knots/hour. 30 to 60 seconds was good for most tracks. OTOH in the smaller seas where one has to cross very often 5 secs is a minimum in order to get every position correctly.

The export function of GPSNavX is great for very detailed informations of every trip, but if we could have a seperate export function with the above mentioned data for every 15 or 30 minutes plus the possibility to directly include other necessary data (Weather infos etc.) GPSNavX would be perfect.

OTOH this would just be a very comfortable feature of GPSNavX. I can live without it and still use my paperlogbook (as my portable printer didn't print the last time :-(), but I thought if PassagePlus does have it GPSNavX could have it too. ;-)

Regards,

Manou

Messages In This Thread
The missing Logbook - by - January 22, 2006 06:36
[No subject] - by - January 22, 2006 09:51
Log Book - by - January 25, 2006 05:04
[No subject] - by - July 16, 2006 13:48
[No subject] - by - July 16, 2006 18:52
[No subject] - by - July 17, 2006 13:33

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NMEA data missing iquik 11 6,492 November 26, 2007 13:38