• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: A mini on board
ginginsman Wrote:
Quentin Wrote:I am setting up our mac mini so that the front of the mini is flush with the bulkhead above the chart table for loading DVDs and CDs, I have found a non-latching bulkhead "power on" button for booting up the mini, and I am also looking to wire up a USB and firewire socket on the bulkhead. I have found a (not very good) USB bulkhead socket in the RS catalogue, has anyone found a good USB bulkhead socket and are there any firewire sockets out there?

Now I would LOVE to know the source (part number?) of that power switch, as it is the one sticking point I have had in deciding how to mount the mini. Could you post that source, and describe how you hooked it up?

As a PS to this, I also plan to mount a monitor flush in the fold-up top of the chart table at the nav station, as it is inconspicuous and protected. Am also looking at using an old Fujitsu tablet computer via wireless and VNC to display charts from the mini in the cockpit.....

Would love to know how your chart table install turned out!

Things went well except I had a few problems I am still sorting out (it has taken ages because I have been too busy with other things).

The main problem I had was that the set up seemed to draw more current than I was expecting. I wired the mini and screen into a spare breaker circuit on the main panel and the wires behind the panel got hotter than I was comfortable with. I only spotted it because in the first instance I wired it together with a new stereo radio and they tripped out drawing my attention to current load problems. I separated the stereo from the mac mini + screen and kept watch on the wires and was not happy with how warm they got despite the fact that they did not trip the circuit breaker. Now there could be a simple explanation.... the boat and wiring are 20 years old and there may be too much resistance in the connectors through age/corrosion. Or... the mini + screen are drawing too much current. I have brought the mac mini back to base to clamp the supply and measure the load, I will let you know how it goes.

I was also a bit confused by how the Carnetix power suppy responded to switch inputs. I suspect that this is my fault arising from misunderstanding the role of "ignition" and "power" circuits. I need to test this in the peace and tranquility of base to get it right!.

On a more positive note the screen and swinging arm are fantastic! I bought a monitor arm well over rated for the load and it laughs at a rolling/heaving boat (http://www.wedgwood-group.com/b-tech_bt7...ll_arm.htm)
I can swing the screen over the chart table or back to the saloon depending on whether we want navigation or movies (or both!).

I am adding a "Y" join and bulkhead 3.5mm stereo jack socket in the cable joining the mac mini audio out port to the stereo so that crew can plug an IPOD in without needing to power up the mac, a useful and power saving feature.

I have not yet taken pictures because I brought the bulkhead mounting plate I made back for anodising and engraving, when it is finished (soon) I will post pictures.

I've recently built in a mini in a J122 will post pictures shortly

ginginsman Wrote:[quote="takefive880"]
Wireless input devices that I've tried have irregular results (lost connections, etc.)
I am sorry to interrupt thread but i am really eager to know that which kind of difficulty you are facing to use wireless keyword and mouse.

I want to buy it many of my friend recommended me but still i want to make it clear. you can answer me in PM also so the original thread can be live

Thanks

use both the wireless apple mouse and the new small wireless keyboard for 2 years now and thusfar without any problems both work great. So would definately recommend both.

cheers

Here is the solution Period. It works, they support Macs Both Laptop and Mini

http://mikegyver.com/index.html

Look down for the Mac Mini DC to DC supply.

Done!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Using iMac on board? timj43 2 3,588 May 30, 2010 16:42
Last Post: timj43