• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: Difference between iPhone and iPad app?
Just wondering what the added value is In the HD version? I have synced my iPhone version across and it displays more or less full screen on the ipad, presumably as the iPhone 4 retina screen has more resolution than the 3GS.
I've looked at the navionics website and read what they say, I'm just not sure how different the HD will look, given that theiphone version has to work on the iPhone 4 anyway.

Thanks

Are you referring to the Navionics app?

If so, you might want to look into the iNavX app. It also uses the Navionics charts (available at X-Traverse) and works on both the iPhone and the iPad.

Any iPhone native app running on iPad in the 2X mode is simply doubling pixels regardless if it supports iOS 4 and/or the iPhone 4 retina display. So an iPad native version (i.e. HD) will actually take advantage of the iPads larger screen.

Look for the apps that are "+ designed for both iPhone and iPad" as they support the native screen of both devices without pixel doubling.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

Ah yes, obvious really. Still new to my iPad, I had assumed that the navionics app from my iPhone wasn't pixel doubling as it was saying "1x" in the bottom right hand whereas obviously it means "press here for 1x" . Ah, the perils of making assumptions in UX design for software....

I will look at inavx as well although it doesn't look quite such a good deal when I have to take account of the need to pay for european charts and updates after two years.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  iPhone GPS can be used with iPad WiFi models GPSNavX 0 4,753 March 16, 2011 09:01
Last Post: GPSNavX
  Memory-Map Universal Binary (iPhone/iPad) released... ActiveCaptain 2 3,859 June 16, 2010 07:47
Last Post: dreuge