• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: MacBooks on boats
Hi,
I'm looking at a MacBook and GPSNavX for use offshore on my boat and am concerned about the Mac's resistance to the salt environment. I've heard horror stories relating to (dare I say the word) PCs.
Does anyone have direct experience re the durability of the Macbook in this environment?
I can protect it well from spray and serious vibration.
Thanks.

joham Wrote:Hi,
I'm looking at a MacBook and GPSNavX for use offshore on my boat and am concerned about the Mac's resistance to the salt environment. I've heard horror stories relating to (dare I say the word) PCs.
Does anyone have direct experience re the durability of the Macbook in this environment?
I can protect it well from spray and serious vibration.
Thanks.
I've got a MacBook Pro that has about 10k Ocean miles on it including an Atlantic crossing and a couple Florida-Connecticut roundtrips. I have installed a couple MacMini's on boats also and experienced no issues with them. The Minis are mounted in purpose-built mounts to protect the hard drives, but as the price of SSDs comes down, they will become more viable and mounting will be less of an issue.

My parents sail a blue water cruiser with a Macbook in the Atlantic and have not had trouble.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

I've used computers and PDAs all these years when sailing and I did never had any problem.

But I do take precautions:

My PDAs and pocket computers (the complete Psion Series (3c, 5mx Pro and Netbook, Zaurus, Palm) where always put into Otterbox boxes with Silica-gel (you find these salts in any box containing electronic devices to reduce humidity) when not in use.

Now my Mac iBook and MacBook are placed in solid plastic suitcases with Silica-gel too when not used.

When in use all devices do produce heat, thus humidity in the air won't settle inside the device! Humidity only settles on cold surfaces.
The best way to protect your devices before entering a boat is to let the computer run for about 10 minutes, thus it can warm up and the humidity inside your boat has no chance to corrode your electronics.

To reduce humidity in your boat you can place a box with Silica-gel inside the boat, the water collects inside the box. Any household shop should have these.

I always use my electronics (MacBook, Canon portable printer and Fujitsu portable scanner, etc.) inside the boat. Never use it outside! For navigation I do use an external 10" touch-screen (ebay), works great, though isn't water proof.

With the upcoming iNavX I can use my iPhone outside or my Palm.
Again stored way in an Otterbox when not in use.

IMHO the horror stories you heard, are from users leaving their devices always on the boat! Especially during Winter-times, the cold air and humidity will kill your electronics.

Regards

Manou

Just wondering how people secure their laptops at the nav station? I was thinking of gluing some velcro on the bottom, or some sort of system of bungees & eyelets.

For the past 5 years, I've been using a simple solution to tie down my laptop that works well and can be removed quickly. During that time, I've had one hardware problem and it wasn't the hard drive.

The top of my nav table opens upward with hinges at the top-back. I bought a flat rubber strap (about 1/2" wide, 1/8" thick and 4 feet long) at a local hardware store. The ends of the strap attach using standard plastic clips. I stretch the strap around the top of my nav table with the clips underneath. Then I insert the laptop under the strap so that the strap crosses between the keyboard and trackpad. The strap is thin enough to fit in the edge gaps of the nav station top. The laptop screen can be lowered but not closed completely.
— —•••  •••— —
 Jon Longworth

8I purchased a non-slip tray liner - intended to stop tumblers from slipping on a tray. I did some tests on a tray with my white plastic MacBook and it stayed put at an angle of 70 degrees +. I purchased a mat by the name of Dycem on Ebay UK from a firm called Essential Aids - it cost me £12.40. I think it was intended for use by the elderly.

I was so confident after this that I just have my MacBook sitting on this mat on my chart table and it has never budged, even in quite severe pitching. At end of season I just wash the mat in water with washing-up liquid and it restores the stickiness.

Granted if I had a complete knock-down to horizontal the MacBook might come off the chart table - but this would be the lead of my worries.

I recommend this. Best of luck, Tony

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DHS may target small boats for RFID GPSNavX 0 2,556 February 3, 2008 21:52
Last Post: GPSNavX
  RS Racing Boats GPSNavX 1 2,335 September 14, 2006 22:20
Last Post: adjuvantjfoster
  AIS transponders on all boats over 34' in the United States GPSNavX 3 2,436 February 16, 2006 14:46
Last Post: cyberhusky