• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: Off to test iPad/iNavX
We're sitting at the mouth of the Straits of Juan de Fuca. In about 2 hours we'll pull anchor and head direct for the Marquesas, 3500 miles away, with my iPad (sorry, sans gps) and iNavX 3.0 onboard. Check back in about 35 days and I'll tell you how she worked. 3.0 came out in the nick of time and managed to download charts all the way around to Africa! (Rich, got a few more this morning)

Thanks for all the support, everyone.
Scot
s/v Jaga

Have fun, Scot! Jumping from Washington all the way there is not a route I've heard of before. Usually people go down to San Diego and then across. Tell us when you get there how the trip was!

August

Have a safe trip .....

Well, been back a few weeks now, in the PNW, after an aborted attempt. What happened is no wind for the first 5 days, and completely becalmed for 3 days 150 miles off the southern Oregon coast, while watching what NOAA described as an 'unseasonably strong, late winter storm' forming before us and threatening to run us down. This was not even on the 180 hour grib when we departed. We were faced with a wall of 40-50kt southerly wind and 20+ ft seas coming right at us, stretching from the coast to several hundred miles offshore. Without wind where we were ahead of the storm we quickly ran out of options to avoid or minimize it, so were left with either run under power back to the straits or into a harbor on the Oregon Coast. As the other boat I was with was Canadian (having departed from a Canadian port), he had now detailed charts for his plotter of the US coast (he had the noaa charts on his laptop) and was very fearful US customs would take most of his fresh provisions and charge duty on all his liquor, they did not like this option. Thus we're back.

We looked at every possible option to salvage the trip, as the return cost us a year getting to New Zealand, however the eventual strength of the storm (which came through here around the 19th) and the difficulty of several other boats (we heard several maydays after entering the straits) confirmed the wisdom of our decision. Tough call, but the right one.

Our only potential other option was to motor as quickly as possible and try and get south of Cape Mendocino before the storm hit, a risky approach. Our fuel consumption trying to push back, though (higher than I'd expected) showed that we would have run out of fuel about 20 miles short. Anyway, I do have a few comments of iNavX which I'll post elsewhere.

Scot

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  INavX on iPad wit Bluetooth GPS Rullinger 1 1,894 November 11, 2021 14:57
Last Post: saltyruss
  ipad / iNavx reporting incorrect COG chouliha 3 3,417 July 21, 2014 23:35
Last Post: AlanR
  iNavx for iPad question Clell 1 2,765 August 11, 2013 15:15
Last Post: GPSNavX
  Dual xgps and Inavx with ipad mini redticker 2 2,918 March 24, 2013 15:00
Last Post: GPSNavX
  iPad Retina display and iNavX antipole 5 4,240 March 26, 2012 14:33