• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: MacENC & E-Series RayMarine
I'm considering installing an E-Series Raymarine and want to know how I will be able to transfer routes, waypoints, etc. from MacENC to the Raymarine E-Series.

Waypoints via NMEA-0183 ($GPWPL sentence).
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

Thank you. Is this a cable I can purchase (where)?
What about Routes?

http://www.gpsnavx.com/html/datacable.html
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

And, routes will also transfer?

Can someone please explain simply, exactly and completely and not in computer speak how I can use MacENC to plan my navigation and upload the created waypoints and routes to Raymarine E 120 classic. Thank you

Can you tell me if you have transferred waypoint and route information from macENC to your E120? I am going to have the same setup.

Another question for the forum is if the same cf data card works with macENC and the E120 (or E80 in my case)?

Jackson

To transfer waypoints and routes from MacEnc to Raymarine E120:
1) Export from MacEnc in GPX XML format
2) Use a Freeware program called GPSBabelFE to convert the exported file above to Raymarine Waypoint File (.rwf) format
3) copy your new .rwf file onto your Raymarine compatible CF card (Note: I had to buy a card form Raymarine to get one that worked)
4) insert CF card into E120 and follow normal procedures to upload.

Works great.

The only restriction is the waypoint naming length. I think Raymarine is limited to 15 characters...

Further, once exported from MacEnc as GPX XML, then import the GPX file into BoatLogix Go using the instructions in the document, "Import GPX Waypoints" which you can get from Jade (Jon).

You must be connected to the internet and may havé to choose the XSLT file first.

Thanks for the detailed response. I can follow that. Now I can't wait to get to the boat to try it out.

Jackson

I used GPSBabel to convert a MacENC route in GPX format to the Raymarine Waypoint File format (.rwf). I then transferred it to a CF card that I had used many times before with my E120 Classic, but the file was not recognized at all by the E120. No transfer whatever. Any ideas?

Frank

You might want to consider Raymarine RNC if you have a duo mac and have windows installed. You connect to your Mac via Ethernet Another option if you have a iPad is to prchase the Navionics HD app. That interfaces to the E80 wide wirelessly,
I have RNC a E80 classic and love the setup. I also have MACENC and love that too. Personally my next purchase is a AIS Transponder. Not sure which one to purchase though.
Barry

MacENC can use an AIS transponder to solely navigate with negating the need to have both a GPS receiver and AIS connected to the Mac. In addition, iNavX can also use the AIS Transponder NMEA data to navigate with.

Are you saying the Navionics HD app can use the Raymarine E80 wirelessly to navigate with much the same iNavX can use NMEA data wirelessly?
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

Yes. I talked with RayMarine yesterday and they said the file they use for the E-Series (and others?) is "archive.fsh". That's what the file needs to be in order to input your routes, waypoints and tracks. They are all combined into one file "archive.fsh" which you can use Ray Planner (Windows only) to output onto a CF card.
I'm going to post a question about the possibility of MacENC doing this without having to use a Windows machine loaded with Ray Planner.

It would be a great help to those of us who use MacENC and have RayMarine electronics on board to have a way to convert ".gpx" to "archive.fsh" in one step.
I moved over to Mac last year but still have my Vaio computer on which I can install Ray Tech Planner. After I do that I can import a .gpx file from MacENC (using GPSBabel to convert ".gpx" into ".rwf" which is what the Ray Tech Planner needs) and then the Ray Tech Planner program will export it as an "archive.fsh" (onto a CF card) which is what I need to use to import into the RayMarine E-Series.
Needless to say, these multiple steps can become tiring!

It would be a great help to those of us who use MacENC and have RayMarine electronics on board to have a way to convert ".gpx" to "archive.fsh" in one step.
I moved over to Mac last year but still have my Vaio computer on which I can install Ray Tech Planner. After I do that I can import a .gpx file from MacENC (using GPSBabel to convert ".gpx" into ".rwf" which is what the Ray Tech Planner needs) and then the Ray Tech Planner program will export it as an "archive.fsh" (onto a CF card) which is what is needed to import into the RayMarine E-Series.

I moved over to Mac last year but still have my Vaio computer on which I can install Ray Tech Planner. After I do that I can import a .gpx file from MacENC (using GPSBabel to convert ".gpx" into ".rwf" which is what the Ray Tech Planner needs) and then the Ray Tech Planner program will export it as an "archive.fsh" (onto a CF card) which is what is needed to import into the RayMarine E-Series.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MacENC and Raymarine E7 Sailormannn 0 2,178 February 15, 2013 10:46
Last Post: Sailormannn
  ShipModul - MacENC - Raymarine cnojek 1 4,047 March 28, 2012 13:24
Last Post: GPSNavX
  MacEnc to Raymarine cnojek 3 4,866 March 20, 2012 09:02
Last Post: GPSNavX
  File Conversion MacENC Raymarine drctdby 9 10,481 March 8, 2012 20:22
Last Post: drctdby
  Newbie MacENC/Raymarine ?? oceandove 3 4,365 February 24, 2010 05:17
Last Post: oceandove