• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: Transferring to RayMarine - Works Great!
I do all planning in MacENC but prefer to use my RayMarine to control the autopilot since it only uses about 0.5A instead of the higher current load of my Mac and inverter. But I have a large number of waypoints in many different folders - each representing a different sailing region. I wanted my RayMarine to be organized the same as MacENC.

1. Create waypoint groups on the RayMarine.

2. For each waypoint group, set it to be the default to receive the waypoints from MacENC. (Alternately they will be received into "My Waypoints" default and you have to transfer them to the appropriate group after receiving.)

3. Select the matching folder in MacENC and transfer to GPS.

This was made practical by a new version of MacENC which turns off gps formatting on output (the previous version truncated to six characters). Thanks MacENC!

I am planning to do the same on my C70 as the process through cards and softs is really too heavy with Raymarine.
In order to connect the C70 to MacEnc, I will use a usb/rs232 converter. My question is:
Can I connect the C70 NMEA +in, +out with RS232 Txd, Rxd and commonly NMEA -in and -out with RS232 Gnd ? (because on the C70 NMEA Minus are separated for In and Out)

C70 NMEA +In ----- RS232 Txd
C70 NMEA +Out ---- RS232 Rxd
C70 NMEA -Out ---- RS232 Gnd
C70 NMEA -In ------'

Thanks for your help !
Laurent.

NMEA DB-9
IN(-) 5 - GND
OUT(-) 5 - GND
OUT(+) 2 - RX -> computer reads
IN(+) 3 - TX <- computer transmits

You really only need to wire up the IN+3, IN-5 to send waypoints.

A couple of other notes. I tried setting my receive and transmit port at 9600 but that failed. For some reason the RayMarine has to be at the NMEA speed of 4800 or it refuses NMEA sentences - makes sense I guess.

The other oddity is it fails if only one waypoint is sent - so always send two or more for your testing.

Forget about sending routes. I couldn't get it to work correctly and it's easy to create routes with the rubber banding on the RayMarine.

The NMEA-0183 specs 4,800 as the rate or NMEA-0183HS (High Speed for AIS) is 38,400.

Things would be far simpler if Raymarine would support GPX or KML files.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

I succeed to make it working after some trials on usb/rs232 converter.
Transfer is ok but the names of wp are truncated at 6 characters using MacENC 7.50.
Something wrong on my side ?

The 6 character limitation comes from older GPS that did not like longer identifiers. NMEA spec says basically characters 0..9 A..Z can be used. However you can override the truncation/formatting by editing the com.macenc.plist in the home / Library / Preferences folder. Be sure to quit MacENC 7.50 first.

The entry:

gpsTransferOtherSkipFormattingWaypointNames can be added as a Boolean set to TRUE using Property List Editor in the Mac's Utility folder.

This will tell MacENC to leave the waypoint name intact when transfering via the NMEA $GPWPL sentence which is used when type is Other in the GPS panel Settings drawer.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

Still truncated to 6 characters ...
I modify as requested the com.macenc assuming the space in Formatting has to be erased.
It continue to send the names of wp truncated to 6 characters.
I check in the C70 Raymarine buffer they arrived really in 6 characters format.
I try also to restart everything, no change.
I check also the com.macenc file and the mod as boolean true is well written.
Any idea ?

Email me your com.macenc.plist
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transferring wps & routes Jack Janos 3 3,229 July 20, 2012 08:07
Last Post: GPSNavX
  How come weather on macenc never works? aurora 11 6,739 September 4, 2010 08:14
  Transferring data to Garmin GPSMap 172c Tambourine 3 6,111 May 2, 2010 23:34
  Transferring Routes to GPS Jack Janos 0 2,089 April 15, 2009 03:36
Last Post: Jack Janos
  Transferring Waypoints to iNavX? Bazzer 1 2,339 January 21, 2009 13:31