• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: ENC charts and land details
I've bought S63 ENC charts for Benelux (Netherlands, Belgium) from Chartworld.
They do work great with MacENC but I noticed that details especially names are missing for harbors, villages and towns.
I always have to switch to raster charts to check names.
Raster charts seems to show more details for landscapes as do ENC charts.

Is this a problem with all ENC charts? Or is it related to encrypted S63 or is it related to MacENC decoding infos from ENC charts?

OT ON
I have ordered for free 2 other licences for the charts I bought for 2 other Mac Computers (my Mac Mini @ home and my second iBook (BackUpsystem)).
Up to 5 licences are possible just for the price of one.
Just email Chartworld for more infos.
OT OFF

Manou

I got an extra license when I bought my Macbook, and Chartworld was quite responsive. I probably hit the timing perfectly since I had the new license about an hour after sending a request.

Scot

The Navionics, (Not Official ENCs) have extended non standard S-57 objects for the text attributes. MacENC 5.10 and prior do not support these. So while the chart draws correctly, the text labels were not rendered.

After months of asking Navionics and Chartworld for a specification of these non standard S-57 objects, they have just provided me with the documentation. So the next release of MacENC will support these non standard Navionic S-57 text labels.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

GPSNavX Wrote:After months of asking Navionics and Chartworld for a specification of these non standard S-57 objects, they have just provided me with the documentation. So the next release of MacENC will support these non standard Navionic S-57 text labels.
Am I being over-optimistic here? does this mean that with a future version of MacENC I shall be able to buy Navionics Gold cartridge charts for both a Furuno plotter AND my Mac?

MacENC supports the downloadable Navionics S-57 ENCs from chartworld.com. The next release of MacENC adds support for the extended objects and attributes found in those ENCs. For some unknown reason Navionics took it upon themselves to extend the S-57 specification by adding device specific objects to a non device specific specification.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

Quote:So the next release of MacENC will support these non standard Navionic S-57 text labels.

Now that's great to hear! I will need it by end May for a 1 week trip with 6 boats in Netherlands!
Let's hope a new version will be out by then.

thx great work. MacENC is getting better and better everyday!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not showing details below !:150000 Seiler 9 5,665 January 13, 2010 11:36
Last Post: Seiler