• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: MacENC question.
Hello,

I have a question about properly updating ENCs. I understand the procedure of downloading NOAA's "All updates..." and then installing the updated cells while being careful not to replace the Catalog file. But my confusion lies with how the Catalog file works. Lets say the latest NOAA update was to include an entirely new cell, not just an updated one. How would MacENC recognize this new cell if if wasn't listed in the older Catalog file?

Wendell

That is correct if there was a new cell then the your previous catalog.031 file would not know about it. The problem is if you use the catalog.031 file from the update then you will only have cells for the update. The option is to have both catalogs, but then you have duplicate cells.

SO I recommend getting the entire "- All available ENCs" every once in a while.

The S-57 ENC specification has no support for merging an existing catalog.031 file and a new one.

Has anyone found a way to automatically be notified when the NOAA cells are updated?
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

Thanks, occasionally downloading the entire set is what I've been doing. Fortunately the file size is reasonable with cable internet.

Wendell

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  one last chart question ebgb 2 2,808 March 25, 2008 11:05
Last Post: ebgb