• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: basic plotting & weather routing
This is a feature request really. I'd like to see some basic plotting functions incorporated into MacENC. The bearing and distance tool is already there but I'd like to see that expanded so that you could draw a, temporary, route in with multiple legs but without using waypoints.

Perhaps as an example I can explain how I use this feature for weather routing in another application.

1. I Display a grib file for current location and route
2. I step through the grib in six hourly increments for the first 24 hours drawing in my expected course and distance for that time period (the other app has a course and distance measuring tool similar to the MacENC one but once the mouse is released the line stays on display until the tool is turned off).
3. I draw in predicted course and distance for the next couple of days at 12 or 24 hourly intervals.
4. Look at a few different options to see which one gives the best result.

I don't want to use or create waypoints as I am usually sailing or motor sailing based on wind/sea state therefore this is just a best guess as to what I'll achieve over the next hours and days. It's quick and dirty weather routing but it works.

Cheers
Chris Harris

I too, would like to be able to do that.

I often wish that something similar was available in MacENC. I think it is Nobeltec that has both single and multiple-point distance and bearing tools. I often measure series of distances to compare different routing options and it is a bit cumbersome command-clicking and mentally tallying the distances while trying to keep the cursor from straying away from the last measured point. It's never really occurred to me to have the points persist. The last time I used Nobeltec the values and lines disappeared when the mouse button was released, just like the distance tool in MacENC.

How about a tool that can draw multiple temporary routes with a result window that pops up for each temporary route? A really slick result window might even convert the temp route into a permanent route, sort of like you can make a route out of the track file. Then the best route would be already done, instead of all that laborious clicking and adding waypoints to re-enter it.
Edmund

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Weather routing with MacENC? rmlewis 2 2,692 February 12, 2015 07:50
Last Post: Jade
  Routing software w/MacEnc Hitchhiker 0 2,303 January 27, 2008 14:11
Last Post: Hitchhiker
  Routing in GPSNavX (comparision GPSNavX vs MaxSea) cyberhusky 7 5,317 May 6, 2006 06:17
Last Post: galacsea
  Basic Install Question for Charts PDXMACSAILOR 1 2,116 February 17, 2006 19:33
Last Post: GPSNavX