• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: Connecting HaiCom GPS to GPSNavX
Luckily I found this excellent forum on the net as I just started using my Powerbook with GPSNavX. I got everything installed including the Maptech maps Big Grin
Everything was working fine until I bought a HAICOM HI-204E USB GPS and connected it to the Powerbook. I followed the instructions on the help page downloading the drivers and everything, and connected the GPS to the machine. Everything looked fine and I got the green light, and the satellites started to turn green as well - GREAT! Due to my location I only got 4 satellites at the time, but that should be sufficient to get a position fix, but no. Satellites are green, and the only message I get is: "No position data received from GPS within last 1.5 minutes"
My settings are:
Type: SiRF USB (tried the others as well with no luck)
Port: /dev/cu.usbserial
Rate: 4800
No LAT/LON /COG/SOG are showing, but INVALID - NO FIX is showing in red.
Are there anybody out there with the same problem that can help me? Do I need to install additional software for the GPS itself? (Only windows software is in the box).

Magica Wrote:Luckily I found this excellent forum on the net as I just started using my Powerbook with GPSNavX. I got everything installed including the Maptech maps Big Grin
Everything was working fine until I bought a HAICOM HI-204E USB GPS and connected it to the Powerbook. I followed the instructions on the help page downloading the drivers and everything, and connected the GPS to the machine. Everything looked fine and I got the green light, and the satellites started to turn green as well - GREAT! Due to my location I only got 4 satellites at the time, but that should be sufficient to get a position fix, but no. Satellites are green, and the only message I get is: "No position data received from GPS within last 1.5 minutes"
My settings are:
Type: SiRF USB (tried the others as well with no luck)
Port: /dev/cu.usbserial
Rate: 4800
No LAT/LON /COG/SOG are showing, but INVALID - NO FIX is showing in red.
Are there anybody out there with the same problem that can help me? Do I need to install additional software for the GPS itself? (Only windows software is in the box).
By the way, the UTC time updates correctly as soon as I get one satellite in the green, so I have communication on some data...

Please try placing the GPS antenna outside or near a window. When the satellite bars turn green and the status will change to "GPS-Auto-3D" then you will get a lat and lon displayed. You do not need to install any additional software.

[Image: anim_screengps.gif]
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

Thank you for your reply. It turned out that it took some time for the system to figure out my whereabouts. I left the system on overnight with the antenna outside and 4 satellites in the green. This morning I had a good fix and the system showed 3D.
Must say that the GPSNavX really outperforms my old MAPTECH system on my old windows system. I am looking forward to the sailing season here up north with my powerbook onboard.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Haicom 408BT GPS loses connection with Snow Leopard dalemann 3 6,581 April 20, 2012 03:29
Last Post: dalemann