• Welcome to MacSailing.net!
  • Dedicated to sailing!
  • Be Jolly!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Title: minimum system requirements
I have an Irwin 34 and a little ibook. It has only 128 mb of ram which I plan to upgrade to 384mb. Will this be enough ram or do i have to add more? Also , is a 10 gb hard drive sufficient to store the maps? thanks for any help.

Yes as long as your old Mac can run OS X 10.3.9 or later you should be fine with GPSNavX.

Not maps, but charts
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

It does have 10.3.9 installed. And thanks. Smile

From the Mac OS system you mentioned, you may have an iBook G3 with 64 MB or 128 MB Fixed RAM installed with a 64MB card or no card giving a total of 128 MB of RAM.

In either case, you would be significantly better off to spend a little more money and install the maximum RAM 512 MB memory chip you can fit into the iBook G3, giving you a total of 640 MB.

Yeah, I know it is $100 instead of $50, but you will be really pleased at the performance increment.

Look at the Crucial Memory web page for a calculation tool for G3 500 MHz and 800 MHz iBooks:

Crucial Memory iBook calculator

If you have any hesitation about replacing the installed memory you can look at the Apple Computer site for a pdf file such as this one (the y are all pretty similar in regards to memory installation so do not panic if you are unable to locate exactly your iBook model):

iBook memory installation

Let us know how this worked out for you. Your experience may give some other iBook owner some hope....(grin)....

Agree more RAM is always better for the overall performance off all OS X operations.
Scott Dillon
Sydney Australia
North Shore 38
CYCA

I am not sure if the 10GB model of the iBook as identified on Wikepedia:

Wikipedia iBook models

* iBook G3 Dual USB (May 1, 2001) – Second Generation iBook G3
o 12.1-inch Active-matrix TFT Display (1024x768 max resolution)
o PowerPC G3 500 MHz
o 256 KB L2 cache
o 64 or 128 MB RAM
o ATI Rage Mobility 8 MB VRAM
o 10 GB Hard Disk
o CD/CDRW/DVD/Combo
o USB 1.1, Firewire, Video Out, Ethernet
o Airport (802.11b, optional)
o Mac OS 9.1
o 2.2 kg or 4.9 lb

with the 500 MHz G3 processor will work with GPSNavX, though I suspect it will when he upgrades to the maximum possible RAM.

What are your thoughts, Rich?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which system to purchase? Bazzer 53 25,832 August 2, 2009 05:43
Last Post: jagasail